• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans problems

Dlong8393

NAXJA Forum User
so after submerging my 91 xj my trans was slipping in all gears except 1-2 and R so I drained fluid put new in no change so I swapped out tranny for a good one well after installing it today it does the same thing as old one??? I was told by another jeeper that the tps can cause that so what does everyone think I flushed all lines and cleaned all conections

I drenched the TPS once years ago and I had drivability issues until it was replaced. I had very severe issues from stumbling, surging idle, jumpy throttle, and unusual shifting. It was quite a roller-coaster ride before I got it fixed. If you have a new transmission and all new fluid and identical symptoms, then you have something else causing your problem. Try the TPS it is an easy fix and even if that doesn't cure it, those things tend to go out so you really are preventing a future problem later down the road.

Can you see if it is flashing out any codes on the dash??? The '91 is prolly ODB-1, and should be able to give you codes to assist in finding problems. Also, if you have a good OHM meter, you can unplug the TPS, plug in the OHM meter, and see if the OHMS vary in a smooth, linear manner as you open the throttle.

seems to me that changing out the transmission was extreme based on symptions. I'd certainly be looking at sensors before swapping out the whole transmission.

How deep was the water? I've had my '89 xj in over 36" of water with no transmission issues....

I don't see sensors causing slippage problems. The TV cable adjustment might do it, the kick down cable also controls pump pressures.

Did you use the old torque converter or install the replacement tranny and converter?

Unless you emptied the fluid out of the converter, you may still have contaminated oil in the system. The converter holds around half of the total oil in the tranny, no way to empty it unless you remove it and dump it into a bucket or power flush the tranny.

I guess it si possible to have a stuck solenoid or one opening at the wrong time, never seen it, but heck anything is possible. Seems possible to have cross feed of actuating current between solenoids someplace in a connector, likely through moisture. Moisture in a connector may pass enough current, through the wrong path to cause issues.

Just a few guesses.

If the good one you swapped in was from a junkyard or unknown source, you may have swapped in a tranny with the same failure as the old one.

A shift cable adjustment may also be a possibility. Seems plausible if the shifter isn't hitting the detents and positioned half way between two gears, it may mess up the fluid flow. The master valve is positioned by the shifter, I really don't know what effect having the main valve in the wrong position might cause, it is unlikely to be good.

seems to me that changing out the transmission was extreme based on symptions. I'd certainly be looking at sensors before swapping out the whole transmission.

How deep was the water? I've had my '89 xj in over 36" of water with no transmission issues....

Th water was over top the shifter on the inside my old trans was completely full of water I used the replacement trans and convertir and ALL fluid is new

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an 87 to 90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.
Revised 9-10-2012

Well I replaced the tcu after cleaning all connections and the jeep drives great now I didn't see any fuse buy it though

Back