• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need more juice-dual batts?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Well the ol pig needs some more juice, found out the hard way yesterday at a mountain lake @8000 ft.
1989 xj 4.0 , What do you all suggest? I have a lot of power pullers, 2 electric fans,hid's , upgraded headlamps, stereo system, winch, and all the inside power goodies that all suck too much power. I think its just a 60 amp alt, I can get the 100 amp, will this suffice? I'm setting up dual batteries (In the process of as we speak) Any bigger alternator that will fit? I can move it to the top as well , I have no a/c just the delete pulley. I never want to be stuck somewhere for that reason again.. I also highly recommend a SPOT sattelite messenger with the type and talk!!! saved us!

well what size battery did you have and how old was it. No matter what battery you get if you leave stuff on to long it will die... Yes I know I just stated the obvious...lol

What I am getting at is you have to keep in mind what you are running and when. If all is wired right there is no reason for it to die if you know what is running and when.

Your alternator may be old and may not be putting out(yup I said that right..that dirty little alternator....lol) I would have both the battery and alternator checked under a load and see what they do. Unless you get a "Green Machine" or similar style alternator it will not put out max at idle.

Your interior stuff...Do you run it all at once? What is it. Most interior plug ins do not take that much juice to power.

The electric fans, hid's, headlights, winch should not be used with out the jeep running anyways. Even the HID's shouldn't pull much as the power is run through some sort of ballast. The stereo can usually run for a couple hours unless you are running a competition set up. i.e.-multiple subs(more then 2), more then a few amps, power capacitors, components, etc....

I have not seen ANY XJ that "needed" dual batteries, except for pure expedition style rigs only meaning they go no where but out to no where. I have seen and talked to many owners that "thought" they needed dual batteries. Ended up they just wanted dual batteries thinking they needed it when they didn't.

With that said I run a 34 series battery in both my 89's. One is my DD and the other is my street able trail rig. The rig has the better stock style efan, extra lights,upgraded headlights and harness, winch, better aftermarket deck and speakers but no sub or amps. I have never had an issue anywhere unless I did something that was my own fault. The DD is just stock so no comparison there...lol

And I have stock alternators in both my DD and my rig.

Have you looked into a 1996-1998 136 amp ZJ alternator upgrade?
I've also seen mention of a 2001-2003 Durango 160 amp alternator upgrade.
I believe that the problem with using those alternators is that they require the ECU to control the field windings. The Renix has a built in voltage regulator.

Have you looked into a 1996-1998 136 amp ZJ alternator upgrade?
I've also seen mention of a 2001-2003 Durango 160 amp alternator upgrade.

Those are typically done on H.O. rigs, not a 89 renix. The differance is one is externally regulated by the PCM, cant remember which. On my renix, i mounted a CS-144 alt up top where my a/c compressor used to be, fits fine.

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/8273/1000445d.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/1668/10004981.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/7448/10004991.jpg

Back