• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ project

rckymtnguy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ, that is currently bone stock other than the front bumper.

My plan is to completely overhaul the entire suspension, and add a 3" lift as well as a few other accessories. My end goal is a XJ that is trail ready, and still very comfortable and driveable on the highway. I am not looking to take it wheeling every weekend, I hunt and fish a lot and I want a super reliable, tough as nails, vehicle that I know I can drive anywhere in any conditions.

My plan is to start stockpiling parts and begin my build sometime after the first of the year. (This is not a daily driver). I intend to keep %90 of this project DIY.

Right now I am still in the decision making stages, so I am here looking for
others advice / experience's with various brand of lift kits in the 2" to 4" range, I want to run 30 or 31" tires, probably Falken Rocky Mtn ATS.

I do NOT plan to go cheap, but I do not want to waste $$$ either. I do plan to go with new springs all the way around. I am not opposed to used parts if they are in good condition.

I have been looking at
-- Old Man Emu 2" and I think they have a 3" kit.
-- Rubicon Express 3.5" (I've read they often give 4 to 4.5" of lift, this is as high as I would want to go)
-- Or a combination of OME springs / coils and other Shocks etc...

I will also be tearing down the entire front end and replacing every wearable bushing possible, I've seen some kits that provide most of what you need, if anyone has experience with the poly kits, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also I recently acquired a TC with SYE, speedo, and upgraded shift fork already installed. So a TC drop will not be needed and driveline vibes should not be an issue.

I will post pics and keep a log of how things are going if its something you guys would be interested in. I know I would appreciate the feedback.

Go OME. I have a 98 and have similar plans for mine. Dirk at DPG can walk you through the options based on your plans. He will customize the parts. He does not just sell a prepackaged "kit". I ended up going 3 1/2" and I don't regret it at all. I was thinking 2 or 3 at first.

Go OME. I have a 98 and have similar plans for mine. Dirk at DPG can walk you through the options based on your plans. He will customize the parts. He does not just sell a prepackaged "kit". I ended up going 3 1/2" and I don't regret it at all. I was thinking 2 or 3 at first.

Have you ever used any other lift kits?

This is where we start!
101_0665.JPG

Last edited:
Start clearancing it. It's free if you've got a cutoff wheel. Just trim the front fenders, cut and fold the rear fenders as well as the rear quarter. Your entry and exit angles will benefit and you won't lose any road manners.

I have been looking at
-- Old Man Emu 2" and I think they have a 3" kit.
-- Rubicon Express 3.5" (I've read they often give 4 to 4.5" of lift, this is as high as I would want to go)
-- Or a combination of OME springs / coils and other Shocks etc...

Dirk has the Super Ultimate kit at 3.5, 4, 4.5". I've been talking with him about the same stuff. Would probably have pinned it down and ordered today but DPG is closed on Friday. http://www.dpgoffroad.com

X2 on DPG off road. He will build/recommend a kit for you once he knows how you are going to build and use the vehicle. He will want to know what parts you are planning to add. So you need to know if you going to run aftermarket bumpers, skid plates, rock rails, winch etc. Advise him if you are you going to tow a trailer. All these add weight and the suspense should be designed around that.

I have the 4 inch DPG/OME kit and really like it. Rides great. Others I checked do not ride as well. I run 31 inch tires with no wheel well triming and it works for me.

Good luck. Call Dirk Monday-Thursday.

It was loaded up a little and I have also added additional equipment since I ordered the kit and installed the kit two years ago. I have added the tire carrier and bumper, a fuel tank skid plate, plus 80 lbs of spare tools, straps, etc.

I have just ordered some heavier leaf springs from Dirk as I now also tow a boat.

I ordered new OME dual rate leaf springs and I expect to pick up about 1 inch of lift I back.

Last edited:
It was loaded up a little and I have also added additional equipment since I ordered the kit and installed the kit two years ago. I have added the tire carrier and bumper, a fuel tank skid plate, plus 80 lbs of spare tools, straps, etc.

I have just ordered some heavier leaf springs from Dirk as I now also tow a boat.

I ordered new OME dual rate leaf springs and I expect to pick up about 1 inch of lift I back.

Can you direct me to pics of your XJ. I just got off the phone w/Dirk and will order my Super Ultimate 3.5" for 31" tomorrow. I'm getting the dual rate springs and adding UCA.. all my suspension rubber is worn out so might as well go full tilt boogie. Also let him know I plan on heavy bumpers, winch front but no tire carrier. YIKES!

Yep. In my album here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/album.php?albumid=209

Do to the way pictures are stored here it starts at the most recent picture to the oldest. Hmmm looking at the date of those images I did not realize that I have had that rear bumper installed this long.

picture.php

Last edited:
Nice! You list matches what I have in mind almost exactly. I'm looking at a JCR winch bumper and deliberating whether to get a spare tire bumper or not.. but integral lights might be nice. Mine is a black '99. I'll post pics as it progresses.

Thanks.

Can you direct me to pics of your XJ. I just got off the phone w/Dirk and will order my Super Ultimate 3.5" for 31" tomorrow. I'm getting the dual rate springs and adding UCA.. all my suspension rubber is worn out so might as well go full tilt boogie. Also let him know I plan on heavy bumpers, winch front but no tire carrier. YIKES!

What did all that end up running you ?

What did all that end up running you ?

OME/DPG Super Ultimate 3.5"

$2200 w/UCA added, dual rate rear springs, sport shocks, and other odds n' ends.
Big bucks I know but from what I gather off the web it's about perfect for what I want - quality, comfort on the road, good handling, lower center of gravity, clears 31".. looks like I'll be going in the direction of 'expedition' XJ but never wanted a rock crawler. From what I understand this thing will be quite capable and will see about a locker or LSD, PowerTrac, etc. after I drive it a year.

Narrowed winch bumper options down to DIY from JCR or AJs in either single tube or pre-runner, probably pre-runner. Too old for multi-mount and hauling it around in mud/snow to get it in the receiver (been there done that). Going to try and figure a good way to strap or store heavy tire chains as well.

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/product.php?productid=17520&cat=251&page=1
With Single Bar

or

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merch...OD&Category_Code=XJB&Product_Code=DIY-XJ-F-WN

DIY with single lean forward bar.

or

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merch...n=PROD&Category_Code=XJB&Product_Code=XJ-F-WN

$618 and the winch sits higher than either the JCR DIY or AJ's

Approach angle you say? How severe can it be? Is the 2" in lower height going to kill anything?

I'm unable to post pictures. Have gone through the instructions but still no go.

Thanks.

Back