• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner fenders/frame rail - which coating?

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to keep my XJ nice and quiet for the sake of long drives to the trails and want to coat the underside and fender wells. Question is, should I go the balls-out route and get some LizardSkin or just use Rustoleum's underbody coating-in-a-can?

id argue that the ability of an undercoating to cancel noise is marginal... its meant more as a rust preventative... but ive seen a few trucks undercoated by ziebart, they (seem) to do good work.

with that said... i rattle canned mine just so it looked nice and black. make sure you use a good degreaser, scrub it, rinse, let it dry completely (and repeat 1 or 2 times if desired) before painting... i didnt even bother with a primer, but it seems to be holding up well, through 2 Mi winters.

284479_200323966688694_5063409_n.jpg

if you plan to even stiffen your jeep, do it first, them invest in a good coating. i didnt do my frame rails because i would like to add stiffeners. removing even cheap crap is a PITA.

VA- I've got everything down to bare metal and coated in self-etching primer, just trying to decide what would be best for noise reduction as I plan to use my rig for both driving to the trail/occasional DD as well as trail use.

HKB, when do you plan on doing it? I'd be very interested in hearing your results on noise reduction as well as durability.

bed liner will work, ive done a couple truck beds with the roll on herculiner, its holding up pretty well. sprayed raptorliner before as well... cant comment on longevity, but overspray is inevitable. but like i said, it will WORK, ideally, you want something rubberized.

and kudos to doing it right, etch primer is a must when working with bare metals.

Sometime between now and spring, hahaha
When I get a little further along I am going to start a build thread. I have only just started with a little rust repair, I am holding off till I find a donor XJ before I start the teardown/rebuild on the MJ.

i used the 3m undercoating sold at autozone in a rattle can and it worked very well as a coating, however i doubt it will make things much quieter.

You know, at this point I like the idea of the POR-15 sprayon stuff. It's cheap and easy and if I decide to front front stiffeners on later, it can be removed a LOT easier than LizardSkin.

However, there will DEFINITELY be LS used on the interior of the XJ...

Back