• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve Springs for 4.7 Stroker

caztaz

NAXJA Forum User
I have the bottom end of my stroker completed. Autotec .060" forged pistons with a 29cc dish, 4.0 rods machined to use with the pistons, new Scat crankshaft, Melling HV oil pump, decked .010", JP Performance double roller timing set, and Lunati 63500LK cam and lifters package. Lunati does not make springs for this setup.
I am interested in using the Crower (68193) beehive springs with the seats cut as needed. I know this is costly (springs at $23ea) which I am fine with and have only seen one other set up with it. The other options are LS (12499224) springs or MOPAR (5249464) performance springs. The LS springs are a cheaper option than Crower. I would have the valves turned down closer to the XJ 1.91/1.50 size. The Mopar is the cheapest drop in solution. Anyone have input on this or extra costs I am not thinking about? Thanks.

Nice find on the Crower valve springs, have you found a retainer that will work with those and the 5/16 valves?

~Alex

As Talyn noted lafred used it on his stroker a few years back and I want to see if anyone else had success with it. He used the Crower 87035 retainers, stock locks and stock 3 groove valves.

The person I had that did my 1998 #6120 stroker head was Scott at LKN Speed here in Mooresville,NC.What he used were the Chevy/GM Vortec V8 valve springs...aftermarket and cut the seats a little to get the spring pressures correct!! Fit stock retainers -stock valves-stock valve locks.I used the crane 753901 cam...so he went by those psring pressures.It actually has a little more spring seat pressure on the exhaust side...makes for a bit more torque and has a difinitive idle sound!!!!! I just may upload a small vid...:laugh3:

Thanks for the Vortec valve spring info. I stopped and talked to Bob at Ace Performance Engine who did the bottom end work and he felt he would be able to match some Chevy springs rather than the Crower. I will let him know on these springs.

I do not know which one brand he used.He just told me that he thought GM Vortec head application would work.He measured everything and calculated what would work thats what he used.IF you would like I could ask him if he remembered which one specific were used.I am sure if ask the one you mentioned he could measure Vortec application springs and help you there.I would sugest that he back cut the exhaust valves 30 degress...it helps flow at low lift.They are a beehive spring.

Back