• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition lock cylinder will not slide into place.

Alexia

NAXJA Forum User
1997+ ignition cylinders
The ignition lock cylinder will not slide into place. I took it out to replace it with a good one. The key is in the run position so the lock tab will depress when going in, but it gets stuck about half way into the switch. I even wiggled the key and pounded it a bit. Just will not go back into place! The switch is also in the matching On position. Any idea or something I am missing?

I even tried disconnecting the ignition interlock cable in case it was interfering somehow.

One idea has come to mind...; have you tried to press the pushbutton behind where the key is inserted to see if that allows the cylinder lock to fully slide into place.
If that doesn't do it.... maybe you can wait until I get home.
I have a Factory Service Manual for my '98 that may provide the information you need.

One idea has come to mind...; have you tried to press the pushbutton behind where the key is inserted to see if that allows the cylinder lock to fully slide into place.
If that doesn't do it.... maybe you can wait until I get home.
I have a Factory Service Manual for my '98 that may provide the information you need.

Yep, tried all of that. A bit of a mystery right now.

Key Cylinder Installation according to 98 Factory Service Manual.

1. If equipped with an automatic transmission; place shifter in PARK position.
2. Position key cylinder into steering column as it would normally be in the ON position.
3. Press key cylinder into column until it snaps into position.
4. Check mechanical operation of switch. Automatic Transmission: Be sure transmission lever is locked in PARK position after key removal. If key is difficult to rotate or is difficult to remove; the shift lever to steering column cable may be out of adjustment or defective.

Key Cylinder Installation according to 98 Factory Service Manual.

1. If equipped with an automatic transmission; place shifter in PARK position.
2. Position key cylinder into steering column as it would normally be in the ON position.
3. Press key cylinder into column until it snaps into position.
4. Check mechanical operation of switch. Automatic Transmission: Be sure transmission lever is locked in PARK position after key removal. If key is difficult to rotate or is difficult to remove; the shift lever to steering column cable may be out of adjustment or defective.

That is exactly what I have been doing. I still can not get it to go in after repeating attempts.

Back