• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy d44 disc brake conversion

The Eldorado calipers are a bitch to bleed because of the parking brake assembly, and the Monte Carlo calipers are the same as the front calipers on the Waggy, same 2 15/16" piston and series 52 pads. It's a waste to use that big of a caliper in the rear, especially if you are running the same in the front, since you ideally want your bias to be 70/30, it's overkill.

Im fine with the stock but rebuilt drums my rear 44, stops well. Im not sure what size they are, but theyre definitely bigger than the drums on the d35 of my other XJ

Well I have once again went another direction. This afternoon I called the wreckin yard where I originally bought my 8.8 and asked if they had an isuzu d44.
They have one with 4.30's and disc brakes. I was able to trade my 8.8 for it. So I now have a waggy front and an Isuzu d44. Seems like the cheaper way to go as I now only have to regear in the front, and dont have to convert drums.

I must get these in asap before I change my mind again. :spin1:

The Eldorado calipers are a bitch to bleed because of the parking brake assembly, and the Monte Carlo calipers are the same as the front calipers on the Waggy, same 2 15/16" piston and series 52 pads. It's a waste to use that big of a caliper in the rear, especially if you are running the same in the front, since you ideally want your bias to be 70/30, it's overkill.

The monte carlo calipers are not the same as the half ton chevy front calipers. They look the same but are smaller. They worked great on my old xj. Right now im running the half ton chevy calipers on the back of my j10 and those work great as well, super cheap too. I wouldnt call it overkill, but even if they are, so what? They are probably the cheapest way to get rear discs on your rig.

The monte carlo calipers are not the same as the half ton chevy front calipers. They look the same but are smaller. They worked great on my old xj. Right now im running the half ton chevy calipers on the back of my j10 and those work great as well, super cheap too. I wouldnt call it overkill, but even if they are, so what? They are probably the cheapest way to get rear discs on your rig.

Ah I see, for some reason I was thinking of the earlier Monte Carlo calipers, which are the same as the truck calipers. I spent several hours at work one slow night trying to find smaller versions of the truck calipers to run on the 9" I'm building, finally coming up with late 80s S10 calipers, that are aperently the same as the Monte Carlo.

85 monte carlo calipers are what i used for the smaller ones.

Back