• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decent door speakers on a budget. Suggestions?

I got Polk Marine 5.25". Don't recall the model number but they were about
$50 a pair. I had water stains on the old ones, so went with these. They sound great to me:dunno:

go to crutchfield.com, enter your search criteria, and then sort from cheapest to highest. Usually within the first 5 or 6 results is a product that is significantly marked down(selling for $50, usually $100). You can take it a step further and get it for even cheaper if they have an open box, or scratch and dent of the same product.

I've been purchasing my car audio stuff from crutchfield for 10 years now. Good prices, quick shipping, great customer service

go to crutchfield.com, enter your search criteria, and then sort from cheapest to highest. Usually within the first 5 or 6 results is a product that is significantly marked down(selling for $50, usually $100). You can take it a step further and get it for even cheaper if they have an open box, or scratch and dent of the same product.

I've been purchasing my car audio stuff from crutchfield for 10 years now. Good prices, quick shipping, great customer service

x2 Crutchfield is the way to go for audio stuff.

I got Polk Marine 5.25". Don't recall the model number but they were about
$50 a pair. I had water stains on the old ones, so went with these. They sound great to me:dunno:
that's a good idea, my driver's side door speaker rusted solid, the voicecoil seized and everything. they weren't even very old, or cheap.

old jeeps don't have the best window seals after a while...

i was a fan of kicker stuff for a while. seemed to be the best bang for the buck for cheaper stuff.
the tweeters weren't too harsh, yet werent flat either. seemed like a happy medium. but that was 5 years or so ago. i have kicker comp 12" subs in 2 cars, i've been abusing the hell out of them for a while now. one sub is about 7 years old.
my last RF subs were warrantied out several times before i gave up.

Last edited:
I make a habit of pulling the door panels of every XJ I come across in the junkyard. I found a nice pair of Jensen door speakers in one and got them for $10. They sound GREAT, especially at that price....

I can't find even 1 review of those soundstreams anywhere.

They'll be my only speakers except a cheap "boom tube" I may stick in the subwoofer spot on the HU. It's a 50x4watt so it should work I think.

Should I just go with the Rockford Fosgates?

i had the 50$ kenwoods from best buy in my saturn and they sounded great, i've had clarions, alpine type S, and pioneers in the XJs i've owned over the last 5 years. I would say of those three the alpines sounded the best. do your self a favor and get a set of these http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=1582 doesn't have to be from that vendor but they will both make your speakers sound a ton better, and protect them from moisture. well worth the money.

Loohttp://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD1620/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD1620B.html?search=jensen_jhd_1620&skipvs=Tked mine up, and they are Polk DB521. $99 a pair.

6.5's will fit as well. Just drill a new mounting hole. I'm with GregGA on using the Polk marine speakers. You live in Portland so you know the difference between "regular waterproof and "OREGON" water proof) They did not make XJ's "OREGON" water proof. My hatch has leaked, my heater core has leaked and even my windshield had to be resealed at one point. Go marine with your speakers!

I can't find even 1 review of those soundstreams anywhere.

They'll be my only speakers except a cheap "boom tube" I may stick in the subwoofer spot on the HU. It's a 50x4watt so it should work I think.

Should I just go with the Rockford Fosgates?

I have them in my DD honda accord.
They are powered by an older JVC 50Wx4 mosfet head unit.

they go louder than I care to listen and will shake the rearview mirror at about half volume.

Back