• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99wj alternator upgrde for my 99 xj

MERCMAN68

NAXJA Forum User
hello all
i saw an add locally on craigslist who has a brand new 136 amp alternator for a 99-04 wj (DENSO part# 211-0132)and i want to know if this alt can be modified to work in my 99 xj, i will be installing off-road lights, winch,0 etc,etc,etc. and its only $50 (and new) i thought i would ask before i waste my $ i know zj alternators work with minimal modifications, but my 99 xj has the newer connections and i thought this might work, i did a search on wj alts fitting in xj's but only found info on zj alternators any info would help. thanks again

Well, that is a good question. Provided the mounts are in the same place, it will go in after you open up the bracketry.

I run the high output alternator from a 98 ZJ (claimed 136A, Actual amperage bench tested to 190...) and all it took was to open up the brackets and make sure the correct pulley is installed.

I elected to purchase a new Denso from a local Alternator rebuilder as it was only $25 more than a reman from NAPA.

Be advised that WJ and XJ engine accessory mountings are completely different. If you have doubts, go to a store, have them pull an example of each alternator and compare them.

thanx advice well taken going to remove my alt and take it advanced auto and take it from there, i know mounting points could vary but ,having an 99 xj with newer connections i just thought an xj and wj would be close not that would be correct, but with the wire harness changes in 99 and up xj's some one would know, any way for $50 i wanted to ask and act fast for a new alterator(awesome deal!), will keep u all posted as far as my progress, anyway this is why i joined here thanx for the help and advice, im really happy i joined. love this forum lots of knowledge,advice, and most importantly lots of XJ'S! LATER

Back