• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Express Up?

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
I just found out I can reprogram the body computer in my 200 to have an express up feature for the windows. Is the system on the '97-'01 XJ computer controlled in any way and can it be programed to be express up as well as express down? That's one feature I've always wished every power window equipped vehicle I driven would have had.

his Chrysler 200 I think.

I always figured the express-up was intentionally left out, as it'd be awesome for removing or thoroughly masticating fingers accidentally left in the gap. At least if you require someone to push the button, they will probably stop rolling the window up when someone starts screaming about their finger.

Yea, I was referring to my Chrysler 200. Sorry, started the thread via smartphone on my lunch break. I'm single and don't have kids so little fingers won't be a problem. Main reason I would like to do this is that with the toll roads around here, being able to get the window to express up while pulling away from the booth would just come in handy.

No XJ has a BCM, so no luck there. The 97-01 have a mechanical auto-down function in the window toggle switch for the drivers window.

yeah, IIRC it's actually a third detent position on the switch, just past the normal momentary-down position. Since the switch doesn't have a fourth position just past the normal momentary-up position it'd be difficult to add, I guess you could probably modify the switch but you're looking at some pretty involved electronics and mechanical modification of the switch module to make it happen.

As long as you understand the safety issue involved, give it a try. There are very good reasons not to power the window up in one shot. Down is fine and it would be nice if all of the Heeps windows worked the way the driver's side does.

I trust that no little or big, for that matter, kids ride in your vehicle...

I'm kinda curious now if there would be a guard on a newer vehicle to prevent losses like that since there are so damn many computers on them and there is something on my flok's Town and Country that stops the motorized doors if something is in the way.

I'm kinda curious now if there would be a guard on a newer vehicle to prevent losses like that since there are so damn many computers on them and there is something on my flok's Town and Country that stops the motorized doors if something is in the way.

There's a CT on newer cars and it works no matter what direction the window motor is running, basically it cuts out the motor when it stalls out and exceeds X amps of current.

I've always just let go when it quit moving or someone screamed. :)

I once stalled out the motor of my passenger window on my friend's fingers. I let off when my buddy starting freaking out, not because I knew I had his fingers, but because I wondered WTF was wrong with him. I thought he had his hand in his Hair! Well it was outside at the top back of the window - anyway I rolled it down and he used some discouraging words to describe me. A couple beers, on me, solved the problem.

^^^ That's funny.

But you're right about them cutting out when they sense an increase in current.

This:

AutoOpenClose.jpg

Was my best crack at doing it myself.

From this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067368

Also, you might be interested in this thread: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066469

But if the 97-01 XJ's have auto-down, but no BCM, then that leads me to believe that the circuit is part of the switch. And if the auto-down circuit is part of the switch, then all you need to do is activate it for "up" as well - they're the same thing. One problem is however, that the window switch would need another position for "auto-up." Or you could just add a separate button altogether designated for "auto-up."

I agree though, having auto-up is awfully nice.

Back