• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery points on a stock XJ?

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
I have a friend who got stuck in a mudhole last night and I was going to go pull him out with my XJ, but he looked under both the front and back and he couldn't find any factory recovery points. I have an 89 Cherokee Limited, but it doesn't have the tow package. Without getting crazy with aftermarket bumpers, are there any places that I could bolt on a couple of hooks, maybe one or two front and one or two rear, that would work as recovery points? I don't want to go crazy hacking stuff apart or anything, but before I really go out wheeling, I want to have something to hook onto if me or one of my friends get stuck.

And before anyone asks, no, I didn't use a suspension piece to pull my friend out of the mud, we found someone else with a vehicle with tow hooks to pull him out. Not wanting to rip my rear end out or anything. :)

For the rear find a Class 3 hitch

For the front go to a junkyard and the factory tow hooks and brackets.

Thanks, bbasso, something like that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm picking up a factory reciever hitch from another NAXJA'er this weekend, so this would be great for the front.

Thanks, bbasso, something like that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm picking up a factory reciever hitch from another NAXJA'er this weekend, so this would be great for the front.

I see you live in Williams. I just pulled a front reciever hitch off my XJ that makes an excellent front recovery point. I put a new ORFAB bumper on and don't need it. PM me if interested. This is the one that I have: http://www.etrailer.com/Front-Hitch/Jeep/Cherokee/1999/65009.html?vehicleid=19991580

I live in Prescott Valley so not that far from Williams. You would need to confirm if this model would fit your 89. Make me an offer.....

Custom 4x4 fabrication has a tow hook kit that is beefy as hell. So does www.ironrockoffroad.com. i recommend both companies over rugged ridge any day.

My father had a front receiver AND the tow hooks on this XJ. The factory skid off.
But the hitch itself served as a pretty good rock & log basher (and magnet).

The Iron Rock set-up is beefy for sure, looks like it's make for a food stiffener too. I've been very happy with the C4x4 mounts. I have an after market bumper on both Heeps, so the bumper, hook mounts are sandwiched, welded and bolted to the frame rails.

XJs with the UpCountry suspension package came with tow hooks. Easy to recognize if it still has the OEM upside-down shocks on it, and the skidplates underneath.

you wouldnt happen to know if the iron rock tow hook mount interferes with the factory skid plate would you?

I have no idea honestly. I'm sitting at about 3" with 32's and haven't found where i'd need a front skid really. I had one on my first jeep and i only hit it a couple times with 235/75's and no lift.

Back