• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88's w/33's, AW4 shifting like crazy..

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I don't have a new speedo gear for it. While going up hills I notice it the most. It seems like it's shifting down and up very quickly, like it can't decide where it wants to be. If I put the accelerator all the way down it's not an issue. If I keep the accelerator where it needs to be to maintain xxmph it starts the crazy shifting.. It's manifesting almost like a stutter. The speedometer is about 7-10 mph too fast. The faster I go the higher the number.

Is this because I haven't put a 41 tooth speedo gear or could it be something else?

When mine did that it was due to low fluid level. Added to proper level and shifts as it should now. Very smooth.

Ditto. 31s/4.56/stock aw4 original speedo gear teeth. Shifts like butter

Adjust the TV cable and the TPS.

i have 4.88s 33s and AW4. doesnt do it. and my speedo doesnt even work at all. my fluid is good though. I need a speedo gear for np231

I put in about a qt of transmission fluid. Fluid was up to the crosshatch. So, I think it's not the transmission. I think the engine might be missing. From what I have read it would show up as a slight stutter or hiccup at idle and possible miss more under load. The thing is, in gears 1-2 under load it doesn't do it. It only does it in 3-4 while at about 40mph with about 1/2" applied to the accelerator and is even more apparent on hills, which is why I thought it was the tranny at first.

ideas?

You are probably experiencing what is called 'gear hunting'. My XJ did that when I changed from 225 X 75 tires to 30" tires and 3.55 gears. It would constantly switch between 4 to 3 and back to 4 going up hills with the cruise control on. Manually shifting into 3 was the only way to stop the gear hunt/ing. I am now using 4.10 gears.

my xj with the same size tires and gearing does not do this gear hunting, somethings wrong.

Like was said previously check the adjustment of the TV cable and the tps. If those are good and its still happening I would say you have some kind of trans issues whether it be mechanical or electrical.

Spoke too soon. Once the vehicle got warmed up it started doing it again. I re-checked the fluid level and found it to be low. I added about a half-quart at operating temps. So far it's still doing it, but only in gears 3-4 and only at 40-50ish mph with rpms somewhere from 2k and below. It does not stutter or lurch etc while mashing the gas pedal...

ideas?

TPS coiuld be going south on you. Have you ever replaced it?

Here's something else you can try that only takes a coupla minutes:

Cruiser’s Trans Plug Refreshing

Over near the trans dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and the other gray. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and trans solenoids.
Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.
Revised 3-28-2012

Tomorrow I am (tentatively) flushing the tranny fluid. I will also clean the connectors. I'll test drive it, and if it's still an issue I'll change the TPS. I had a similar problem on my ranger about 6 years ago with the tps but it was only noticeable at idel. Replacement solved the issue.

Back