• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LP D30 or HP D30???

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
MODS Im not sure if this is modified or general. Please move if the wrong forum

I have a 2001 with a 2.5" lift and 31s.

I also have a HP D30 laying by the house.

I'm not going any bigger. Those daydreams are gone. But I am installing Trutracs soon and gearing down to suit the taller tires. 4.10s

Its a DD that may some some moderate trail use but no real crawling.

I know the HP is stronger. But will it clear the exhaust with such a small lift? Dam precats!

Is of worth the hassle to change out with such a mild build?

Opinions??

Can I get the carrier and gears set up without the axles in it?

I would say its not really worth the hassle, it won't really make a difference with your smaller setup. Id keep an eye open for a 4.10 axle out of a 4cyl/5spd, wether it be a HP from a XJ or a LP from a TJ. My daily driver is setup similar with small lift and 31's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4.10 LP if I came across one cheap. There's plenty of TJ guys that run 33 and bigger tires on their LP30's.

if you have to regear A front axle id go with the hp ,if you already have a correctly geared lp i dont see a reason to change....it doesnt cost more to regear either axle...

i had a hp 30 but came across a smoking deal on a lp 30 with the 4.56s and an ARB so i jumped on it..

OK so it basically comes down to convienience??

Current gear is 3.55.

Going to rehearsal to 4.10

I have a 2001 as well. With the small lift you've got you may have clearance issues on the exhaust with the HP. (As you mentioned) I just lowered mine from about 5" to about 3" lift and I went back to a LP. Had I stayed with the HP I would have had to carefully check clearance and bump stop accordingly.

I have a 2001 as well. With the small lift you've got you may have clearance issues on the exhaust with the HP. (As you mentioned) I just lowered mine from about 5" to about 3" lift and I went back to a LP. Had I stayed with the HP I would have had to carefully check clearance and bump stop accordingly.

Ok, THIS is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the input.

:)

And after a little more thought I'm selling the HP housing I have. It's in the SEC forum if anyone want's a shot.

Thanks for all the input.

Biggest difference I noticed was the increase in ground clearance for the driveshaft, when I switched to hp. But I am also running more lift w/ no pre-cat, so no clearance issues

I switched to the HP on my 2000 w/3.5" lift because when in full time I was getting some vibes due to the pinion angle vs. caster. Properly bump stopped I don't have any interference. The LP also uses a crush sleeve where the HP uses shims to set pinion preload.

What's difference, advantages, disadvantage of a crush sleeve over shims?? I don't know squat about setting up gears.

Technically it is a stronger setup. Also, if you need to change the pinion seal on the HP you just unbolt the yoke, replace the seal, put the yoke on and torque the bolt down. No marking the position of the bolt or measuring bearing preload, etc.

Ahhhhh gotcha.

I'm in Radford every once and a while. Would love to see that 4.6 sometime.

Back