• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake issues

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
so i got a 95 2wd auto 4.0 and the booster and mc went out so we changed it out with a 98 4.0 auto. but we are still geting almost no stopping power till it hits the floor. bled all brakes in order twice. rears are fairly new and pass rear has a new cylinder. front left calliper is 2yrs old. front pads are worn but still have atleast 8months left. is there another reason y were not geting full power or atleast start grabing sooner?

Did you follow a write up or did you just swap out parts?

Did you bench bleed the MC?

What "book"? The rods are different lengths for different years.

A half inch at the rod equates to a few inches at the pedal ... are you sure it's not too short? The pedal only travels a few inches to begin with.

im sure cause it only sets maybe a 1/2" off the brake lite switch i only lost maybe a 3/4" of actual pedal and still have a good almost 4" off pedal left behind it but it wont hit the floor with fluid in it. its has great pressure and with short pumps when its not running. the old booster and mc were doing the same thing pretty much after they started leaking internaly. there are no leaks any were

Last edited:
If there is a combo valve after the MC, like My Renix jeeps have, you need to bleed it after bench bleeding the MC, bleed the combo valve at the front side, before the bleeding the wheels.

both prop valves had a bleeder in front but there was no way to do it without vice grips so we didnt think it was a bleeder valve. but i can try and see wat we get.

My Renix Era props have about a 3/4" nut on the front side, that is the access to the guts of the valve. I just turned the nut 360 degrees, about 1-2 times, and had a helper press the brake peddle, while I tightened the nut, then repeated until I got brake fluid out of the threads, instead of air. There is no bleeder on mine.

All I know is I ran 3 gallons through the POS, bleeding at the wheels, and still had a limp peddle, LOL!

The newer ones may be a bit trickier?

both prop valves had a bleeder in front but there was no way to do it without vice grips so we didnt think it was a bleeder valve. but i can try and see wat we get.

BOTH??????

A half inch at the rod equates to a few inches at the pedal ... are you sure it's not too short? The pedal only travels a few inches to begin with.

If he is not getting 100% stroke travel of the MC, he may not be getting all the air out of the MC itself, if he bench bleed it mounted on the firewall, or the rears may not be getting the full stroke????

Back