• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with fixing my paint job.

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure that anyone who has done some serious fabwork on the rigs, and has left it out for more than a few days without washing this has had the same results as me, so here goes nothing.

I recently did a lot of welding/cutting/grinding on my rig (Boxed the whole unibody) and didn't get around to washing it until now (2 weeks later). Well the paint seems to be ruined.

There are small rusts spots everywhere, probably close to 10 million on the hood and roof. The paint was pretty new before, and looked pretty good. Now I have a bunch of this shit on my rig that makes it look like hell, and devalues the XJ substantially. I was seeing if there is anyway to get rid of this? I tried hitting it with some Mothers Cleaner Wax, but that didn't do it.

Should I just live with it, and paint it when I go to sell it? Or should try something else? I can get a good(not Great, but Good) paint job from a buddy that owns a paint shop for $1000.

you most likely burned a bunch of little pinholes in the paint which have now rusted. I would try some rubbing compound and see if that cleans it up, but it sounds like it's time for a paint job.

hows the windows? i ruined my side windows in the back when the rear shock hoop went in :rof:

Hopefully just fine metal dust that landed on the paint that got wet. One of the big reasons new cars are covered in transport now. "rail dust" from the train tracks used to do this all the time. A clay bar product may work but if not, buffing with a medium coumpound followed by a swirl remover/glaze should do it. Welding spatter will burn paint and glass but usually only in the immediate area. Use weldiing blankets or wet blankets to cover areas your working by.

your paint should be fine, clay bar it. you can also wetsand and buff it, but that's a bit more work.

Back