• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not that i have a problem but

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone point me to the sensor/optical switch that hides in the distributor of my Cherokee.

its a 1994 4 litre fuel injected 6 cyl OBD1 (export model)

i dont have any problems but as i haven't changed any of these sensors in 15 years of my ownership of the car ( excluding oxygen sensor and a temp sensor)

i thought it about time, ive ordered a new distributor cap and rotor, (i already have 8 mm leads) and a screaming demon coil. plus crank angle sensor and a MAP sensor,oh and 6 new spark plugs, but i cant find a listing for the sensor in the distributor

can anyone help

Many thanks

You may have better luck finding this part being listed as the Camshaft Position Sensor. Its one of the few devices on the Jeep that if you're not having starting or drive-ability trouble, its working perfectly and I would recommend leaving it alone.

I've dealt with 93 and 95 cam position sensors and don't quite know which type the 94 has. In the earlier type, you must remove the distributor and take it apart in order to access this sensor. In the later type, you can take it right out from above without disturbing anything. I would certainly not bother with the earlier type if it hasn't caused problems. I myself would do neither, but that's up to you. If you have the later type you're at least out only the cost of it, and can keep the other as a spare if you anticipate difficulty in finding parts in a hurry. My 95 failed at well over 200 thousand miles. My 99 never failed, and was going strong when I sold it at 270 or so.

ok thanks, i think i,ll leave it alone, the car is not giving any trouble just a very slight popping in the exhaust at idle, so i thought it a good opportunity to swap out the listed above parts give the old girl a freshen up

Back