• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need HELP!

tragiccomic1972

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Auto

Every morning when I get in, the gauge cluster does not work for 10-15 minutes. Airbag light stays on, guages does not work, then they will pop on and go to work. I have researched on here and checked all my grounds, cleaned the NSS, popped the cluster out and put dielctric grease on the pins, still acting up. Any suggestions? Speed sensor? CPS? What should I try next?

Thanks!

Just sounds like your cluster is starting to fry. The current has to build before it will kick on.

Just like power windows when they start to go they stop working but as soon as you hit it with a hammer to free it up, your windows work again.

With your windows, when you hit them you clear the dust out of the brushes in the motor. There are no motors in your gauge cluster.
Its a very common problem and there is a TSB on the issue from Chrysler. Mine does the same thing every once in a while. I just push/tap on the airbag light until the gauges pop up again...

Last edited:
i recently had same problem, not sure which solved the trick, i would have gagues go on and off while driving, airbag light come on. my problem was key switch related,

take off the shrowd covering your ignition, underneath the key switch is a cable that follows the steering column, make sure that is snapped into place beneath the key switch.

it solved my issue.

Back