• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok to widen center hub on Moab wheels?

jk_surgeonfish

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.... I am so sick and tired of vibes when I run the front driveshaft that I am going to just put in a Yukon Hub conversion kit: YA WU-07. I'm running 245x16s so it should work just fine.

I have spent countless hours, money and time troubleshooting the vibes. 3 different well known shops, 2 drivelines shops and no resolution. It runs perfect with no front diff so I think a manual hub conversion will solve the issue for good.

My question is this: I have some 16" Moab takeoffs from a 05 TJ (I think) 5x4.5 and the center hole is 2". The Yukon kit requires a min of 2.77".

Anyone see a problem with me drilling/clearancing center hole on the wheels?

Safety concerns? Any recommendations on the best way to do it?

Thanks!

checked the front output yoke on the tcase for play? sounds like the bearing could be bad in it.

you should be fine opening up the hole just try to keep it round. the wheel is centered by the lugnuts on the studs so it shouldn't need to be perfect though. something to think about, if you don't open up all 4 wheels you wont be able to rotate your tires anymore, and modifying them is going to make them harder to sell down the road if you decide to go with a different wheel.

checked the front output yoke on the tcase for play? sounds like the bearing could be bad in it.

you should be fine opening up the hole just try to keep it round. the wheel is centered by the lugnuts on the studs so it shouldn't need to be perfect though. something to think about, if you don't open up all 4 wheels you wont be able to rotate your tires anymore, and modifying them is going to make them harder to sell down the road if you decide to go with a different wheel.

Case was rebuilt. Thx though. The wheels have a lot of rock rash so expanding the center will not affect cosmetics that much. I plan on doing all 4 wheels. No need to do the spare as I could just put that on the back if needed.

Ideas on best way to open them up?

coarse 3 stone cylinder hone and a drill, or take them to a machine shop. shouldn't cost too much to have them bore the hole out for you.

I actually just did this. I havent ran or balanced the wheel but it is just for my spare.

So what i did was i took a wheel from an 89 Waggy and meeded to be able to mount it to a 95 Yota. So i didnt have the correct size drill bit so the only other way i was able to come up with was to bolt, using the lug nut holes, a pieace of flat bar. Measured and found the dead smack center of the wheel On the plate. Got out ths hole saw and bolt the wheel down to my 1800 drill press, after messing wi the old scool 3" wide leather belt thats about 6' tall for about 2 hours and two hole saw later i got a bigger center section cut out.

One thing i learned from doing this is make Sure you measure 100 times before starting your cut. Mine ended up about 1/8" out from center. So like i said not sre hor its going to do. VIBEZZZZ

Starrett makes these little hole saw thingys, that take 2 hole saws.... one to ride INSIDE, the existing center hole and locate the assy, then another one over that to do the actual cutting... im sure it could be done semi-accurately... but not for less than $20 a wheel...

Have you had the front axle checked? it sounds like it could be a bad pinon bearing. My zj did that to me and I did the same thing as you.... Money time money time. It was a bad pinon bearing and I replaced the front hub bearings. Problem solved.

Have you had the front axle checked? it sounds like it could be a bad pinon bearing. My zj did that to me and I did the same thing as you.... Money time money time. It was a bad pinon bearing and I replaced the front hub bearings. Problem solved.

It was rebuilt when I had it re-geared.

Holy crud. Ever time i go to a shop of specalty, machine shop sheetmetal shop welding shop, it always costs way more than what the item is worth.

I might take On of the other wheels and Get mine done correctly. Believe me doing it right is a major peace of mind.

Who nows of a good and cheap machine shope in the south bay are thatll do this.

Holy crud. Ever time i go to a shop of specalty, machine shop sheetmetal shop welding shop, it always costs way more than what the item is worth.

I might take On of the other wheels and Get mine done correctly. Believe me doing it right is a major peace of mind.

Who nows of a good and cheap machine shope in the south bay are thatll do this.

Tim aka knucklehead_61 should be able to help, and/or point you in the correct direction.

Back