• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ want to go Propane....

AZSPEED

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search didn't find anything new, Want to put my rig on propane. Like the simplicity offroad, get rid of alot of wires and computer. Anyone running it on their rig? what do you think. the got propane guy is an hour away from me I want to hear what everyone thinks before I make the plunge. Oh and no emissions where I live.

I don't know ANYTHING about that conversion.

But last summer we were in Tahoe and ran a couple day trips on the exit part of the rubicon from Tahoe to look out point. On one of them we got stuck behind a guy running a NG conversion and for what ever reason, he couldn't keep that thing running. There were plenty of 4.0 jeeps lined up behind him. Nobody could offer help or parts to move things along.

I just remember sitting for hours wondering why he choose that conversion.

Check out the International forum here. I think there was a guy in England running propane. Its very common overseas and depending on how it is set up can be either a very simple and hassle free deal or a nightmare.

I have done conversions on carb equipped vehicles and it is relatively easy to do.

On a fuel injected vehicle... Different story. You may have to dump all of the electronics and get a distributor from a 4.2.

That being said, it has been at least 3 decades since the last conversion I did. At least you are in AZ so will not have the Winter cold starting issues.

But, here you go:
http://www.gotpropane.com/p564.html

Personally, if I was going to convert my jeep to run on propane i'd keep it fuel injected and dual fuel. several years ago I found a kit that actually used a second ECU to control the propane and based it off of what the main ecu was using for fuel requirements.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=6cyl $995

In the early 2000s GM had dual-fuel gas/propane setups.

Back