• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator cap

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
91 sport, AW4, 231 combo.

So i'm in the process of doing a raidiator flush and figured i get a new cap while i'm at it. I've read to use a 16lb cap but the STANT book clearly says to use a 13lb cap for the 6 cylinder and a 16lb for the 4 cylinder. Is the book wrong? Ir is there a reason you guys are using a 16lb instead?

I'm guessing the book and the knuckle heads behind the counter are wrong... Just thought i'd check.

:cheers:

I've consistently seen 13 lbs as the referenced cap for the 4.0. Just tell the counter guy to humor you and dig out a 16 lb cap which he will do.

I didn't intend to insult anyone by not mentioning the counter gals out there. Actually, I've often found that the girls are better at sussing out correct parts than the guys.

Yes, 16 pound is what you want. 13 will work, but get a 16.

And don't get one with a stupid pressure release valve. They are worthless and just another point in the future for failure.

That's because it differs by year. 91-95 show 13psi. 96+ shows 16psi.

Mine has a 16lb on it now.. Just found it odd to read "put a 16lb on" but to find that the STANT book says a 13lb for OEM replacement.. :dunno:

Thanks guys! I picked up a 16lb for the replacement. Yep still a noob here and i'm OK with that! :worship:

As Sean said, the 3extra PSI is just a higher boiling point. 16 will work fine.

Jeep probably didn't want to admit their mistake on the renix cooling system. They used the 13 psi cap so that it wouldn't be light years ahead of the stupid turtle.

Jeep probably didn't want to admit their mistake on the renix cooling system. They used the 13 psi cap so that it wouldn't be light years ahead of the stupid turtle.
I believe you mean Chrysler.

What does RENIX have to do with this?

Back