• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick winch question

richsambo

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 98 Xj 3" rough country and 32x9.5 super swampers by doing anything crazy and want to pick up a winch so when I'm in the woods by myself I don't need to worry about being stuck out by myself. Any advise in what weight winch I'll need? And what a desent brand is I could get don't want a no name but dont want to spend $500. Looked on all my local Craigslist and can't find any and eBay a 10,000 lb one is around $300. That too cheap?

Thanks.

You want double the vehicle weight, so that's an 8000 or up.
I snagged a used 8274 for 500, it was a little rough cosmetically, but will be kicking long after I'm gone.
It all comes down to if you want one with shiny paint in the box.

My jeep only weighs in at 3450 lol. Yes you want to double the weight at least. I have a 12k. There are numerous winches to chose from. If you can find a nice warn in used working condition go for it. But compare prices.

My jeep only weighs in at 3450 lol. Yes you want to double the weight at least. I have a 12k. There are numerous winches to chose from. If you can find a nice warn in used working condition go for it. But compare prices.
did you actually weigh it? because mine is a bare bones model (manual everything, including trans) with maybe 200lbs in mods, and mine weighed 3720lbs empty on the scale. that was with 31's on fairly light aluminum wheels.

did you actually weigh it? because mine is a bare bones model (manual everything, including trans) with maybe 200lbs in mods, and mine weighed 3720lbs empty on the scale. that was with 31's on fairly light aluminum wheels.

I'm right at 4000 loaded for the trail with power everything. Also on 31s with aluminum wheels.

You guys must be a tad bit over weight then lol. I took a load to the dump and i was in it and weighed in at that amount as i left the place lol.
i subtracted my weight from the number on the scale at the weigh station. 3900 with me in it. my bumpers are about 35-40lbs a piece, plus rock rails, long arms, a 3 link in the rear with rather heavy shock towers, 16" coilovers, frame stiffeners. 1/2 tank of gas. i figure i'm +200lbs or so, considering everything that i removed and added.

I like my Smittybilt XRC10. Slow and loud but it was $400 and it's been used to pull some much larger vehicles out and never failed me. So far, it's recovered my XJ from frame deep clay, 86 F350 on 33s w/460 and a Focus from the same mud, my 73 F250 with camper in bed from axle deep sand, Prius from sand, Super Duty diesel crew cab on 38s from different frame deep mud (but he was only in 2wd, so only half was stuck...), stock Avalanche, and a dead K20 on 39s up onto a 2 foot high trailer with no ramps. So far it's never overheated, stalled, or broken.

Mine was 3420 with 3/4 tank of gas, with just a boost with 30s on steel wheels. Don't know what it weighs now. Stock XJs are pretty light, the lightest can be under 3000 pounds.

i ended up buying a smittybilt 8000lb winch ill let you guys know how it works out. and im not putting it on my 98 any more its goin on my 99 with the same tires and lift just bought a jcr front bumper for it and getting rear quarter armor and welding 2x6 block steel for rockers. ill let you know how it works out

Mine was 3420 with 3/4 tank of gas, with just a boost with 30s on steel wheels. Don't know what it weighs now. Stock XJs are pretty light, the lightest can be under 3000 pounds.
yea, 2wd 4cl, bare bones. you add the 4.0, dana 30, 231, front driveshaft, power options, a/c, etc..... and THEN you add bigger tires, lift, rock rails, bumpers, frame stiffeners, 15x8" steel rims, skid plates, etc.
pretty easy to get from 2900 to 3700lbs

Back