• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-brake cables for disc conversion

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
My D44 rear uses ZJ discs. I don't have an e-brake cable. Would this work? Also, if I were to get this, would it be suitable for use on possible larger future axles? I might be switching to a 44/60 setup soon and wouldn't want to buy the cables and then not be able to use them...

I can't tell what those cables have on the axle end... but if you take some simple measurements on the ZJ "Finger" piece that controls the e-brakes, you may be able to use it if it has a loop on that end.

I have the ZJ discs on my XJ D44... I did something VERY hack-ish to hook up the e-brakes, but it has been working for more than 7 years now. I had the e-brake cables from a 95 YJ on both sides on my XJ, so had plenty of length to work with. I simply cut the exposed spring back a bit (the return spring that the cable runs through), wrapped the cable around the "finger" that sticks out that controls the e-brake rotor, and used small cable clamps to clamp it onto itself around that finger. LIke I said, kinda hack-ish, but my e-brake still works great, and I didn't have to weld on or buy anything additional to make it work.

Last edited:
I believe xjtrailrider (not sure, might have been someone else) did a mod that eliminated the custom cables - he just bored some holes through the e-brake lever on the disc backing plate and used small u-bolts to clamp the cable down (the kind used for guy lines on antenna towers and such - they're in the hardware aisle of home depot near the chain and wire rope.) Since you mounted the brakes already (as did I) that's probably too much of a pain. Another one is to use a u-bolt cable clamp to loop the end of the cable around the lever... probably what I'm going to do.

Jeff - any idea if Crown makes a similar cable for MJs? It's got the same style ends from what I can tell, it's just shorter. From what I can tell (no tape measure handy) the sheath is about 40" long, new OEM ones are Bendix part number C1671. I got a new set so I can hack up my old ones without worrying about getting it wrong the first time.

im interested in those cables you posted Justin. I did it the ghetto way similar to Andy, but i got explorer cables which had the proper brake-end piece, but they were entirely too long and needed to be cut and looped around the handle-end bracket and fastened with cable clamps. i still havent gotten them adjusted right, but then again i havent really tried much.

I believe xjtrailrider (not sure, might have been someone else) did a mod that eliminated the custom cables - he just bored some holes through the e-brake lever on the disc backing plate and used small u-bolts to clamp the cable down (the kind used for guy lines on antenna towers and such - they're in the hardware aisle of home depot near the chain and wire rope.) Since you mounted the brakes already (as did I) that's probably too much of a pain. Another one is to use a u-bolt cable clamp to loop the end of the cable around the lever... probably what I'm going to do.

Jeff - any idea if Crown makes a similar cable for MJs? It's got the same style ends from what I can tell, it's just shorter. From what I can tell (no tape measure handy) the sheath is about 40" long, new OEM ones are Bendix part number C1671. I got a new set so I can hack up my old ones without worrying about getting it wrong the first time.
i considered that, but i didnt think putting stress risers in that little hook was a good idea, especially since if i'm wheeling when it fails, it's very possible that my jeep would be tumbling down a very, very large hill or off a cliff.

You might look into Lokar cables. I run them on my Heep. If the ZJ "finger" is similar to the Exploder version, the Lokar kit can be used. The cables are a "cut to fit" universal. Only "mod" required to fit them was to sandwich the adjusters in cut washers at the stock cable splitter end. No big deal.

Got mine from Speedway.

i used the teraflex cables .but two of my friends who did the conversion on there XJ.s used the Grand Cherokee cables that came with the brakes they got out of the wrecking yard.

I am working on the ebrakes on my MJ right now... :mad:

Ended up getting two passenger side explorer cables. Too long so I had to route them creatively but they worked.

The brake shoes and springs and all that other satanic junk in the ebrake drum/hat on the other hand... :banghead:

Im not sure how similar the zj e-brake setup is to the crown vic setup,but I made some adapters for my stock cables to the crown vic e-brake "finger".
ResizedImage_1316567068191-1.jpg

The best pic I have of the e-brake"finger" for comparison too the zj
ResizedImage_1316567021393-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll work on disk brakes. I hate drums.
You do realize rear disc, park brake is basically a "mini" drum setup, correct?

Yes, but I won't have to fiddle with that nearly as much as a drum service brake.

That's what I said. And then I went to get mine working and the shoes were completely worn down to nothing by the PO soccer mom using it as an "emergency make your car smell funny" lever, and all the hardware was rusty and packed with mud. Yep... they worked a bit better after I did a full e-brake job :gee:

I kept the stock XJ parking brake cables when I installed the ZJ discs.
I cut the parking brake arms off both the XJ and ZJ parking brakes. I then welded the XJ to the ZJ arm.
I then moved the parking brake bracket (where the cable adjustment is made) rearward to accommodate the extra length needed for the 4" lift

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2491526558/in/set-72157605049387729
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4114538730/in/set-72157605049387729
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157605049387729/

I just cut the attachment point of the XJ ebrake cable and welded it to the ZJ brake cable section. I then simply shorten the stock cable and used new ferells to make a stop for the ebrake.

Hope that make sense.

Back