• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Knuckle Question

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
On my axle swap project, the donor axle has 2 different knuckles on it. One is drilled for high steer and one is not. The one that is drilled looks like it has new ball joints but the other ball joints probably need replaced. I was thinking while I was replacing the ball joint, maybe I should find another knuckle drilled for high steer incase I want to convert over at some point. Does anyone know what knuckle I need to look for to match? Here are pics of both.
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

pictures of the knuckles from the side?

at first glance they both look like flat tops, just the drivers has been (poorly) milled and drilled to accept high steer. if they are both true flat tops, you can simply send the other off to be drilled as well, or do it yourself if you have access to the right tools. if they are not true flat tops, you are not going to want to use them. driver also looks like the stock arm has been drilled out, while the passenger has some sort of insert. odd.

now, i say they "appear" to be flat tops, because i only see 5 spindle bolts on the driver side, which would mean it accepts a ford spindle. there were no factory ford flat tops, except for F250 (i may be wrong on the F250 part). but it wouldnt make sense for them to be aftermarket, like reid, and only one (especially the driver) be milled to accept high steer. that was typically a chevy thing. factory chevy flat tops came with only the driver side milled for a high steer arm. but chevy spindles are 6 bolt.

what are the knuckles off of?

regardless of what they are, your going to want to send them both out to get milled, you want that driver side redone. and then youll want them to measure and take the same amount of material off of the passenger.

It is def a F250 axle, but I was confused why one was drilled and one wasn't. And both knuckes are drilled out for over the knuckle. One is just missing the insert to convert to over the knuckle, but I have one to weld in.

It is def a F250 axle, but I was confused why one was drilled and one wasn't. And both knuckes are drilled out for over the knuckle. One is just missing the insert to convert to over the knuckle, but I have one to weld in.

That generation of F250 had push pull steering, which is why the drivers side had the knuckle drilled like that.
1010_4wd_02+steering_system_tips+push_pull_steering.jpg

What lug pattern will you be running?

would that make them F250 knuckles?

That generation of F250 had push pull steering, which is why the drivers side had the knuckle drilled like that.

durrr. if youre running high steer arms, the driver side still should be decked and re-tapped to insure the surface is 100% flat.

Back