• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37s on Dana 44 Full Width

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have a full width D44 front and D60 rear out of a late 70s, F250. I planned to run 37s, but can't afford tires and alloys/rcv's at this point. I have scared myself to death watching people snap D44 shafts on youtube and thought I would try to get some more experienced opinions here. Should I stick with 35s (although I know I will regret it later as I would still have to buy a set), go ahead with 37s and run it till I break it and have spare JY shafts to replace until I can save up for alloys, or just put the project on hold and wait till I can save up? It has a spool up front and has stock locking hubs with 30 spline inners and 19 spline outers. Also a D60 is out of the picture right now as I don't know how to weld and these axles are already fabbed for the xj.

Thoughts???

I ran 37's on a 44 with alloys, toasted many shafts (doubler gad a lot to do with that). I say get the 37s you want then save up for some rcvs.

keep your foot out of the throttle and be careful on undercuts and you can make it survive.

but 35's with alloys is way more fun. less worrying and more throttle when needed.

obligatory broken dana 44 parts picture:

313532_517421323624_226300669_295883_1335878759_n.jpg

about a dozen shafts, alloy and chromoly, one ring and pinion, a detroit locker, all on 35's and 36's.

i made the axle survive with 37's in the past and on 38's (for the most part)

never ran stock shafts, and never liked how they neck down near the splines.

Thanks for the advice guys. Need to try to find some spare shafts I guess.

SC Rednek runs 36s on his 44 front with stock shafts. Twisted one of them apart going up Gatekeeper in Calico...:D

i am on the same axles as you and all i have done to the front 44 is some alloy usa xjoints and i am on 37s with beadlocks. just watch your driving style in each different situation. certain situations you should still be able to be a bit of a throttle jocky and others you may want to take it slow and choose the right line.

SC Rednek runs 36s on his 44 front with stock shafts. Twisted one of them apart going up Gatekeeper in Calico...:D
pretty sure he did the damage when his front tire was shoved under that undercut. i cringed then almost as much as watching Robert drive. :D

i am on the same axles as you and all i have done to the front 44 is some alloy usa xjoints and i am on 37s with beadlocks. just watch your driving style in each different situation. certain situations you should still be able to be a bit of a throttle jocky and others you may want to take it slow and choose the right line.

Stock axle shafts and alloy joints?

I scored some 37s. Now to see how long my axle lasts. Some have been saying not to get alloys and save for rcv's but I am leaning towards alloys. I don't have to get new 30 spline hubs and they much cheaper. They have a 10 year warranty so we will see I guess. I doubt the body will last 10 yrs.

Back