• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor, pads, and brake replacement parts - NEED RECOMMENDATIONS

I’m looking for recommendations for rotors, brake pads, and brake replacement parts. I have a 2000 XJ and I tow up to 2,000 lbs with no trailer brakes. It’s my daily driver and work jeep (towing firewood, etc.). The tallest tires that I will run are 32”. I want really good rotors and pads. Also, is there a good brake rebuild kit for the XJ? I’ve got over 180,000 miles on the Jeep so I figure I’m ready for some new parts. Thanks everyone for your help.

I have no brake recommendations, but do have some trailer recommendations, over 1500 lbs, drive that sucker like the roads are ice covered. I mean be careful.

I have no brake recommendations, but do have some trailer recommendations, over 1500 lbs, drive that sucker like the roads are ice covered. I mean be careful.

Let me clarify, I only tow on forest roads, etc. I'm not out on the highway. But, I do tow on a few gravel (undeveloped) roads, which means that it's hard to stop on downhill’s, etc. I live out in the middle of nowhere. I use it mainly to haul firewood, which the weight can add up.

I haul firewood also and have a 3/4 ton trailer with no brakes. I've had a few sphincter clenching moments.

I usually use Raybestos or Bendix semi metallic pads in the front. Nothing exotic. Make sure your auto adjusters are working in the rear and check the wheel brake cylinders. I'm guessing you have rear drums, I'm not real familiar with the 2000 XJ.

Pull back the rubber cover on the wheel brake cylinders, I use a tiny screwdriver. I also just pry open the outer or front part of the rubber cover, which makes then a whole ot easier to get back on again. See if any brake fluid leaks out. The wheel brake cylinders are usually good for around 150,000 miles plus or minus.

Most of my problems are from the trailer pushing the body at an angle during braking and shifting the body sideways off the rear axle. That is what happens without trailer brakes. It can get you out of shape in a hurry. It tends to lift the rear some also and can make traction iffy.

Not trying to be a turd here but you'll find tons of info by searching....

I did my brakes 2 years ago. Used centric rotors (no slots or holes), and EBC yellow pads.

I love em.... I'm running 32's on a 4.5" lift. The truck stops very well and I'd guess I'm barely half way through the pads.....

There are a lot of threads here w/some good advice...

My personal reference would be for a set of pads/rotors f/ blackmagic.

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/

I just swapped in a set of replacement pads and rotors on my '01 XJ a few months back and these are by far the best brakes I've used. I've had Carbon Ceramic, Carbon Metalic, you name it on my rig and these are BY FAR the best 'OE Type' set up. Like them so much I installed a set on my wife's '03 KJ...

Of course if you really 'abuse' your brakes perhaps one of their upgrade kits would be the best possible solution for you. My rig is a 99% daily driver and I rarely if ever haul anything. They can help you out w/a Vanco Big Brake kit as well... just depends on how much $$ you want to spend and how much you really 'use' your brakes.

Not trying to be a turd here but you'll find tons of info by searching....

I looked and found some good info., but I was also looking for any new info.

I did my brakes 2 years ago. Used centric rotors (no slots or holes), and EBC yellow pads.

I love em.... I'm running 32's on a 4.5" lift. The truck stops very well and I'd guess I'm barely half way through the pads.....

I have the EBC green pads for my Dodge Cummins and really like them. I might have to try out the EBC yellow pads. I was curious what people thought about the Power Slot Rotors.

I've never heard of them before. It looks like they are a one stop shop. Hmmm, I wonder if they would do a package deal for a better price.

I haul firewood also and have a 3/4 ton trailer with no brakes.

Here's about as crazy as I get:

33846874134_large.jpg

Black Magic or EBC Yellow pads. I run the EBC yellows and the difference vs. stock was huge.

No, I haven't really thought about it. What would be the benefit?

Much easier to inspect, eliminates all of the problems of drum brakes, dissipates heat better. Look into it, I am not the only one happy to be running them.

Does your trailer axle have a place to mount brakes? Last time I checked, complete assembelies were going for around $50 per side. Figure another $100 for a contoler and wiring.

I just swapped in a set of replacement pads and rotors on my '01 XJ a few months back and these are by far the best brakes I've used. I've had Carbon Ceramic, Carbon Metalic, you name it on my rig and these are BY FAR the best 'OE Type' set up. Like them so much I installed a set on my wife's '03 KJ...

Of course if you really 'abuse' your brakes perhaps one of their upgrade kits would be the best possible solution for you. My rig is a 99% daily driver and I rarely if ever haul anything. They can help you out w/a Vanco Big Brake kit as well... just depends on how much $$ you want to spend and how much you really 'use' your brakes.

x2. Crazy good brakes!

Much easier to inspect, eliminates all of the problems of drum brakes, dissipates heat better. Look into it, I am not the only one happy to be running them.

I'm assuming that I would buy new, where would I buy them? Also, would KJ disc brakes work just as well?

Does your trailer axle have a place to mount brakes? Last time I checked, complete assembelies were going for around $50 per side. Figure another $100 for a contoler and wiring.

I don't know that either, lol. I'll get it checked out. I already have a brake controller, I just need a good set of brakes or a new trailer with brakes.

Here's another vote for the Black Magic pads and Centric rotors.

Where are you guys buying your Centric rotors?

Oh, I didn't realize those rotors were Centric. Thanks!

^^ What they said. I just bought the BM pads and Centric Rotors as the 'package' from BM's website. Both for my XJ and my wife's '03 KJ. Her KJ was notorious for rotor warpage and brake pulsing... So far after ~ 10K miles the brakes are still great and for whatever reason that KJ could warp brakes like no-other...

Back