• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering problems

SirCyber

NAXJA Forum User
ok got a '95 XJ that I am having an interesting problem with. Around August I went out to my local mud hole only to find it dried up. undeterred, I decided it'd be fun to do doughnuts. now, up until this point, power steering was amazing. one finger to turn the wheel. well, one of the bolts on my skid plate busted out, and it hung low enough that it would get caught on the steering knuckle. also, my power steering disappeared. so, being a jeeper, I continued on. well, got rid of the skid plate, but didn't worry about the power steering. Months passed. In March, I went out on a run and was doing doughnuts in mud, and inexplicitly my power steering CAME BACK! man was I happy! I'd figured I'd broke my power steering pump. well, that excitement lasted about 3 weeks. then, just as fast as it came back, I lost it again!
it just doesn't make sense to me! I don't get any whining from the pump, it has plenty of fluid. I haven't greased the joints, but I really don't think that has anything to do with it. it's a complete mystery to me! can anyone help?

Steering that mysteriously goes away and comes back is indicative of crud getting stuck in the valving of the steering gear. Sounds like time to do a complete power steering flush and if that doesn't do it, then a tear down and rebuild of the gear. This is why I require a filter on the return side on the pumps I build.

Steering that mysteriously goes away and comes back is indicative of crud getting stuck in the valving of the steering gear. Sounds like time to do a complete power steering flush and if that doesn't do it, then a tear down and rebuild of the gear. This is why I require a filter on the return side on the pumps I build.

This is what I was going to say, I agree it sounds like the system is contaminated and there is a blockage in the gearbox.

No, flush it. remove the low pressure hose, open the cap, stick the low pressure hose into a 2 liter bottle. Have a friend start the Jeep. The P/S fluid will get pumped out of the pump quickly, just stand there with a quart (or more) of P/S fluid and continue to pour it into the pump until the fluid coming out is clean & clear. Don't let the pump run dry. Turn off Jeep. Top off fluid, follow procedure to bleed air from system.

Back