• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Friends, New Shop, New Sneakers, Need opinions on axle?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Made the trek out to Carolina Rock Shop in Concord NC yesterday to meet Ary Ebrahimi. He seems like a cool guy, and has a sweet XJ. Now if we can link up on the trail someday...

I picked up a set of 4 31x9.5 TSL Radials on latemodel stock Jeep Sport wheels. Something different to try out while waiting for my 2 new 33x12.5 BFG MTs, and saving for another pair of rims...can y'all BELIEVE IT! for the first time since like Jan 2000 I'll actually have "almost" matching sets on the XJ and the 2 MJs :shock: plus FS spares to go around 8) Getting the 2 MJs able to 'roll around' will be a key 1st step in actually maybe getting to work on them.

The folks at the Carolina Rock Shop seem like they have it together. I have seen their handiwork before on a ZJ bumper/rock rails, and it's first class. It was good to finally meet them in person and see their little shop of horrors. They are real close to Lowe's Motor Speedway, behind the fire station on Pitt School Rd.

Also have a line on a 98 8.25 29 spl ax, 60k on it and has a Powertrax No-Slip, but still has 3.55:1. The seller wants $400. I was considering a no-slip for similar $$$, but I am still unclear if the 8.25 in mine is 27 or 29 spline. This deal gets me another complete 29 spl. XJ Ax to simply bolt-in, and leave me a good running spare for another project or to hookup a D35 Jeeper in need.
I know GA Mike will holler "weld the old one" but looking for other opinions.

Parts is Parts, Next up?...scoring another AW4 and 231 for one of the MJs

$400 for a complete axle with locker is a pretty good deal. If you could talk him down some it would be an even better deal. I have the 29 spline 8.25 with the no-slip in my Jeep and love it. I've run it fairly hard with 34's, 4.56's, and a stick and neither the axle or locker have even flinched at the abuse I've subjected them to. I tore my locker down and examined it a couple weeks back and it looks brand new after many, many road miles and some pretty tough trails. This is also the second Jeep this locker has been in, I bought it used six months ago. Driving wise the no-slip is 99.99% invisible, you only know it's there when you would want to know it's there.

Yeah,I've been dreaming of a new setup for the rear of mine for a couple of weeks now. I'd like to keep the 8.25,but do something different as far as traction is concerned. How much is a No-Slip? Those are the "lunch-box" locker types,right?

Weld it up and be done with it man :twisted: Just droppin' in on the southern folk, had to give someone some crap.

Sean

That's just it! It's already welded! I'd like something that doesn't eat tires for breakfast. That,or I should rotate them once in a while :lol:

Mike, put a lockrite in it
their a little easier on tires
or just dig up some of those jars out back
and buy an ARB WOO! HOO!

Back