• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Gas Tank Skid Install?

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a stock gas tank skid for my 98 sport w/ factory tow package, 2" reciever. Skid came off an 01, dont know if it had a hitch or not, although skid has original cutouts where a hitch would be so I assume it had a factory hitch also. Already removed my exhaust shield, and now I can't tell if the skid would go on before the hitch or after. My dad's '87 XJ with factory hitch and skid, the skid is on after the hitch. But if I put mine on after I will have to trim picecs on the skid where it mounts as it would interfere with features in the mount surface of the hitch. Just need to know which goes first? Thanks

Install both however they fit best. Usually the skid goes on first, and the hitch goes on next.

If you have jackstands and or a jack, its not too bad.

What Talyn said. This is the factory method.

The skid sits closest to the frame rails. And as an FYI for late model owners, the 97+ skid is different due to the tank change. An early model can be made to fit by breaking a couple of the welds that hold the sides to the bottom.

Used an early on the 97 I had and just went with the correct part on this 98.

I find that a floor jack is your best friend when installing a tank skid...

Yeah it was still a pain with a jack, didn't help much with a 6.5" lift and the fact that my jack blows. Had to take out my shackle bolts to get the skid in then had to squeeze the hitch back in but nothings ever easy. Its done now thanks for replies.

Back