• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nice XJ from Arizona,,,,,SMOG

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
Will a stock jeep from Arizona pass our wonderful CA Smog test? The only thing my newbie eyes noticed was that it does not have the canister for the fuel tank evap lines(Top left of the engine compartment at the firewall)

Thanks.

Also, this jeep has another issue. The belt rubs the engine block, just barely. Seems that the parts are 1/16" too close to the engine. Is this possible? It has a new water pump, but the engine side of the belt is frayed from rubbing.

Could be the harmonic balancer has separated and the outer ring has slipped. As for smog, I think you will have to get an evap cannister.

Negative. No mods required on my 97 when I brought it from AZ here. Passed every time. Vehicles do NOT have to be modified to come here, they have to be UN-modified, as in all stock components still in place.

depending on what year it is the evap canister may not be under the hood, in later years it moved towards the back of the jeep mounted to the frame rail.

if the jeep originally came with the evap canister, you will definitely need to replace it to pass smog legally. if it did not have one from the factory, you do not need to add one. some cars were built for certain states that did not require emission equipment. i know hawaii cars did this for a while.

if the jeep originally came with the evap canister, you will definitely need to replace it to pass smog legally. if it did not have one from the factory, you do not need to add one. some cars were built for certain states that did not require emission equipment. i know hawaii cars did this for a while.

This. As long as it's stock, it won't have trouble passing Cali smog. From my experience, a car does not have to be 50 state to pass smog. I believe a car just has to be 50 state to be originally sold as new in California.

In theory, yes. I know many people who have passed with exhaust leak. Depending on the severity it may not. Only one way to find out. Not sure about down there, but up here there are a couple of No pass, no pay places. Oh, and make sure your EGR is functioning correctly.

Yea, you can pass with an exhaust leak, but it has to be a minor one. As someone previously mentioned, the O2 sensor can get off readings with an exhaust leak creating a potential running rich scenario. You can always just try to see if it passes as-is.

And as sidewaysstarion mentioned, if it's a newer OBDII vehicle, most importance is placed on the computer test.

mine passed with a cracked manifold.
and ignore what kracker said, it does not have to be a 50 state or california vehicle. federal emissions are just fine.

Yep. 50 state's just for cars that are sold new.
arent they all pretty much 50 state at this point?
of course you still cant buy a new car out of state. it must have at least 7500 miles on it before you can register it in CA. at least thats how it was not too long ago. i hate the government in this state.....

Back