• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket inline fuel filter?

Okay, I have a 2000 XJ with the in tank fuel filter/pump. I’ve been told that the intank filter isn’t much of a filter, so I was wondering if I could add an aftermarket inline fuel filter somewhere. I’m about to install new (used) 4 port injectors and want to keep them as clean as possible. Thanks!

I’ve been told that the intank filter isn’t much of a filter, so I was wondering if I could add an aftermarket inline fuel filter somewhere. !

The intank filter works fine until it plugs. I replace the fuel pump, on my 2001 XJ, along with the filter at 105,000 miles and the filter looked fine.
The filter is fairly big so unless you have used many tanks of bad, dirty fuel, it should last a long time.

You could install an additional external, inline filter but remember, you are dealing with 50-psi of pressure so all the new parts must be designed for this pressure.
Old carburetor-style inline filters run at a much lower pressure (7-10 psi) and are not suitable for intank-fuel-pump fuel injection.
Any type of leak, at 50-psi, is going to be a serious safety hazard.

Adding a inline filter will do nothing to increase the life of the fuel pump or the intank filter.

.... remember, you are dealing with 50-psi of pressure so all the new parts must be designed for this pressure.

^Yep.....

The stock filter is supposed to be good for about 90,000 miles.

There are actually 2 filters in your rig. One is a sock type pre-filter on the bottom of the pump and the other is the silver hockey puck looking thing on top known as the filter, pressure regulator, check valve.

Thanks for the info! It will save me time and money if I don't need an aftermarket fuel filter. I’m use to owning diesel vehicles in which you add an additional one or two aftermarket fuel filters. Injectors on my Dodge Cummins are expensive, so getting fuel filtered down to 2 micron absolute is important.

I just want to keep my injectors in clean working order. I have 180,000 on my 2000 XJ, and I'm fairly confident that the fuel pump/filter assembly has never been changed. Should I add this to my list of things to do? If so, where is the best place to buy an OE replacement?

My 1996 XJ have in addition to the one on the fuel pump an inline filter above the rear diff and mounted to the driver side frame rail. It is OEM.

I did not know that XJ's came with no inline fuel filter. :dunno:

My 1996 XJ have in addition to the one on the fuel pump an inline filter above the rear diff and mounted to the driver side frame rail. It is OEM.

I did not know that XJ's came with no inline fuel filter. :dunno:

I'm not sure what year they started the in-tank fuel pump/filter assembly, but I know that the 2000 and 2001 XJ's do not have an accessible filter that can be changed, like the one on the rail that you speak of.

where is the best place to buy an OE replacement?

With 180,000 miles on the original pump, I would change the whole fuel pump/filter/regulator assembly. It's a lot of work to exchange and I would only want to do it once
A Bosch fuel pump assembly, from Rock Auto, would probably be my choice.

....A Bosch fuel pump assembly, from Rock Auto, would probably be my choice.

Or if dieselenthusiast has the skills required, a new pump could be had from NAPA at much cheaper price. However the assembly must be completely torn apart and rebuilt.

It's not difficult, just time consuming and one must be EXTREMELY careful not to break any of the internal parts.

If anything gets broken in the assembly then it's back to square one......

Or if dieselenthusiast has the skills required, a new pump could be had from NAPA at much cheaper price. However the assembly must be completely torn apart and rebuilt.

It's not difficult, just time consuming and one must be EXTREMELY careful not to break any of the internal parts.

I’m not a gamblin’ man so I’ll just bone up and fork out the cash for the complete fuel pump/filter assembly. I haven’t looked it up yet, but I assume it’s fairly expensive.

I’m not a gamblin’ man so I’ll just bone up and fork out the cash for the complete fuel pump/filter assembly. I haven’t looked it up yet, but I assume it’s fairly expensive.

The Bosch assembly at rock auto is $344.00 +

I can't get the NAPA site to work right now, but as I recall the Bosch pump by itself was around $80.00

I'm old and know that my time is worth money. Replacing just the pump is possible but, in most cases, by the time the pump fails, the filters are dirty,
the regulator has a lot of miles on it and all the plastic pieces are brittle.
Just replacing the pump is guaranteed to have me changing it again, much earlier.
I have changed two XJ pumps and that's enough practice. For me, new is the best choice YMMV

I'm old and know that my time is worth money. Replacing just the pump is possible but, in most cases, by the time the pump fails, the filters are dirty,
the regulator has a lot of miles on it and all the plastic pieces are brittle.
Just replacing the pump is guaranteed to have me changing it again, much earlier.
I have changed two XJ pumps and that's enough practice. For me, new is the best choice YMMV

10-4

Just throwin' out some options.....

I replaced the entire assembly on my 01 with one from NAPA about a month ago was under $200 bucks. Getting the ring off the tank is a pain but once the ring is out the assembly is easy to swap. Just don't break the clips on the fuel lines

With 180,000 miles on the original pump, I would change the whole fuel pump/filter/regulator assembly. It's a lot of work to exchange and I would only want to do it once
A Bosch fuel pump assembly, from Rock Auto, would probably be my choice.

I’m hoping that I have the correct part numbers. I was a little confused that the filters were separate from the pump. Anyway, assuming that I have the parts listed correctly for a 1997 - 2001 XJ, here they are:

BOSCH Part # 67658 (Fuel Pump Module Assembly) $310.79
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=977733

BOSCH Part # 68070 (Fuel filter fitted inside reservoir) $10.29
No link provided

BOSCH Part # 68072 (Fuel filter fitted outside reservoir) $11.24
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2233518

The pump module assembly is all you need. The filters are part of the assembly.

Oh, that's good to know. It didn't show the filters or list them, so I wasn't for sure. Thanks for pointing that out.

Resist any urge to buy the Airtex pump.

Thanks for giving me the pep talk and keeping me on the straight and narrow. It’s too easy to sin and stray away from the truth, lol.

Back