• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recovery gear tips please! :)

caspertheog

NAXJA Forum User
im not sure if this is the best place for this... but i use my jeep for 4x4 and i consider it my bug out vehicle.. if anyone has any ideas on what i should add to my extensive list of crap i would love to hear your opinions..

this is more like a bug out bag or camping kit..
I will start with
first aid stuff
i have various sizes and types of bandages
gauze
quick clot
rubbing alcohol
emergency blanket
wool blanket
basic medication bag
hemostats
misc personal care stuff (soap, tooth brush, floss)
stuff for splints
eye flush
flash light x3
10 pack of glow sticks
fire extinguisher
tools
i have a fold up tool set with the basics socket sets, screw drivers, pliers allen keys
short handled two pound sledge
hatchet
shovel (non fold up)
machete
bottle jack
fix a flat
10lb c02 tank
jumper cables
recovery

snatch block
two hooks up front
receiver hook
d shackles
tow straps
tow rope
100ft 550 cord
20ft heavy duty rope with handle
50ft light duty rope
hilift jack
other necessities
MRE's
fire starters lighters matches flares and signal mirror
5 gal fuel
5 gal water
8 hour gas mask with extra cartage x2
knives
small fishing kit

im sure there is more just need to think haha but please give me any in put of what i should add.
i would much rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not be prepared...

Last edited:
I am all about being prepared but why do you have a gas mask?? zombie attack??

That said i always carry some electrical wire, scotch locks, electric tape and zip ties...

My goal is to have less stuff, but still have what i need.

Add some liquid band aide to your first aide kit. I have seen a few times where a hand is busted open or a head is busted open trying to fix a break or set up a snatch block on a tree. Most of us don't have the skills to stitch someone up on the trail. fill the wound with the liquid bandaide glue stuff then wrap it up and keep on wheelin. I have used it twice in the last couple years. Once while camping in the Sierras I cut myself preping meat for the b-b-q. The second time I used it was on John Bull in my TJ. I cut my hand real bad fixing another jeepers exhaust. Liquid band aide fixed me up until I got to the hospital in big Bear for some stitches. It stops the bleeding, seals the wound, and allows for stitches to be added later when you can get down to a hospital. It's the duct tape of the first aide world.

I am all about being prepared but why do you have a gas mask?? zombie attack??
didnt realize zombies had bad gas. maybe just carry Beano? it's lighter than a gas mask.

i dont think some hard brake line and a flare tool is a bad idea. last few wheeling trips, someone damaged a brake line.

Add some liquid band aide to your first aide kit. I cant count how many times I have been on the trail and someone has a break and they are trying to do a repair with limited tools and no flat surface and suddendly a knuckle is busted open or they bash there head under the Jeep. Most of us don't have the skills to stitch someone up on the trail. fill the wound with the liquid bandaide glue stuff then wrap it up and keep on wheelin. I have used it twice in the last couple years. Once while camping in the Sierras I cut myself preping meat for the b-b-q. The second time I used it was on John Bull in my TJ. I cut my hand real bad fixing another jeepers exhaust. Liquid band aide fixed me up until I got to the hospital in big Bear for some stitches. It stops the bleeding, seals the wound, and allows for stitches to be added later when you can get down to a hospital. It's the duct tape of the first aide world.
rub some dirt in it and call it good. been doing that forever, and no ill effects.

Last edited:
I know, long post, but I'm extremely bored at work so why not.

I would consider carrying a lot more tools. Without knowing exactly what you have in that set, I'd make sure at a minimum you have:
- standard and metric wrench sets, up to 7/8" and 18mm. And adjustable wrench.
- 3/8" drive standard and metric sockets, w/ rachet, 3x 3" extensions, and swivel extension
- 1/2" drive metric sockets, w/ ratchet, 2' breaker bar, 6" extension.
- 1 1/8" and 36mm sockets
- Needle nose, standard, channel lock, and snap ring pliers.
- 2lb hammer should be fine.
- Allen (metric and standard), and Torx. I believe the drain plug on the t-case is a t60, somebody else correct me if I'm wrong.
- Screwdrivers. I like the interchangeable bit ones, saves a lot of room in the tool box
- prybar
- whatever right sized tool you need to take off your lug nuts. Seems stupid to mention except I've seen people forget it.

Electrical. At least on my jeep, I've had more electrical breakages than mechanical. Luckly all this stuff is small, except the jumper cables I fit all this and more into one small ammo can.
- Voltmeter (nothing fancy, any little piece of crap will do, just has to work a couple times)
- fuses. keep a wide variety of amperages. Unfortunately the XJ's have 3 different sizes of blade fuses, so you need to carry them all.
- Splices, ring terminal ends, tab ends. I keep yellow and blue sizes usually.
- spare wire, I'd recommend at least 10' of 10 ga and 18 ga.
- electrical tape
- battery terminal cleaner
- zip ties
- relays are optional, as there are several non-critical ones laying around our jeeps (think AC and horn)
- jumper cables (mine are 25' cables, can be conveinent when in a tight spot)

Parts
- If you don't carry a full set of spare shafts, carry at least a front stub shaft. Even if the inner front shaft breaks, you still need a stub shaft to hold the wheel bearing together.
- u-joints. I carry a complete set, but I'd recommend at least two 1310 u-joints for the shafts, and 1 axle joint (296x? I forget what a d30 uses)
- one set of ball joints
- one set of tie rod ends
- engine sensors
- belt
- alternator brushes

Fluids
- brake cleaner
- black RTV
- jb weld
- 5 quarts oil (or more - can be used to fill engine, diffs, or manual trans if needed)
- 1 quart power steering
- 2 quarts ATF (more if you have auto trans)
- 1 quart brake fluid
- LEAKPROOF container so whatever bottle breaks doesn't go all over the carpet

Random
- ratchet straps
- shovel (even a small trenching tool will work)
- GPS and/or good state atlas
- cash
- shop manual of some sort. I keep a Haynes with me, use it mostly for the wiring diagrams. It does not include fuse block diagrams, I'd print those out and stick them inside the cover.
- power inverter is optional, but I find them extremely handy. A 200W inverter can handle a dremel or soldernig iron, a 700W can handle small power tools like drills or angle grinders.

As far as survival gear goes, in addition to what you listed:
- tent, sleeping bag, and small backpack even when going on day trips, just in case I break and have to walk out.
- water filter, that 5 gallons of water won't go very far.
- TP, in a sealed ziplock bag
- military quality poncho. Durable, great in the rain, and doubles as a tent when combined with a rope and 4 rocks.
- grill grate for cooking over the fire. And aluminum foil. I also keep an old welding glove for putting cans and stuff in and out of the fire.

I gave up on fire starters and all that. pour some motor oil on the wood, hit it with the mapp gas torch.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I'm with Redneck; my trail tool bag weighs a few pounds. :D

Also, you mentioned snatch-block so I assume you have a winch? I don't believe I specifically saw a tow strap in there, but that's a must-have.

TowStrap400.jpg

Wow...

I thought Santa used to pack heavy. If this is just "Extra" stuff I can only image what else you all pack in your jeep with a Dana 30 front and D35 or even F8.8, and then break something...
Not to mention if you do get in a hairy situation (a roll of more then a flop) and all these items are even remotely, Not fully secured and set to handle a sitation that requires them, and they too become projectiles or promote injury.

A thorough first aid and response type kit that is about 12"x10"x4" will have enough first aid stuff.
Some zip ties, zip tied to something in the jeep, as well as some duct tape, zip tied to something.
Basic 65$ harbor frieght tool kit in a 15$ tool bag, heavily zip tied to something stationary in the jeep (Cage prefered).
An outer stub axle w 36mm socket to fit axle nut.
Emergancy tape.
Water,one MRE and jerkey.
Synthetic rope, 25ft.
Spare tire if under 37" tires.
2 - 1500lbs rated ratchet straps.
Highlift jack that is lubed.
2 - fire ext. (ever try to use a small car type fire ext to put something out?) Very Securely fixed. One in front of jeep one in back.

And I am prolly missing a few very small items that Might be a nice add.

What else do you have, to have?
Unless you go out alone, in that case, good luck.

Unless you go out alone, in that case, good luck.

I do, all the time. And Nevada happens to have some VERY remote regions.

If I'm wheeling with a group and returning to the same campsite every day, then I'll usually set up a second tent and throw all my junk in there.

And the OP also said he's looking to pack it as a survival/bug-out vehicle, not a minimalistic race rig. Good luck wheeling for a week or more and hundreds of miles with what you have listed.

Last edited:
I think your going to need 2 Jeeps and a rather large RV to carry everything posted, But there all great ideas.

I do, all the time. And Nevada happens to have some VERY remote regions.

If I'm wheeling with a group and returning to the same campsite every day, then I'll set up a second tent and throw all my junk in there.

And the OP also said he's looking to pack it as a survival/bug-out vehicle, not a minimalistic race rig

Actually he said... "this is more like a bug out bag or camping kit.."

I think he went a Bit further then what a "bug out" bag is capible of, when he added:

bottle jack
5 gal fuel
5 gal water
hatchet
shovel (non fold up)
machete

Sure, if you want a Bug out vehicle, you can fit it all in there. BUT, You prolly been watching the new reality type shows and should take a pointer form the deuce and a half guy. Cause a XJ with all that crap in it, on a D30 and even D44, doing trails is Very hard to keep reliable, trip to trip. LOTS of maintenance and parts replacements.

... but i use my jeep for 4x4 and i consider it my bug out vehicle..

i would much rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not be prepared...

Actually he said... "this is more like a bug out bag or camping kit.."

Sure, if you want a Bug out vehicle, you can fit it all in there. BUT, You prolly been watching the new reality type shows and should take a pointer form the deuce and a half guy. Cause a XJ with all that crap in it, on a D30 and even D44, doing trails is Very hard to keep reliable, trip to trip. LOTS of maintenance and parts replacements.

Actually I don't really watch TV. I spend to much time in the garage fixing my jeep. :rof:

And almost every single thing I've listed, and a lot more, I've used on mine or someone elses jeep at some point while out on the trail.

Last edited:
no beer? for fu*k's sake, at least carry a flask. good god man, i'd rather take my chances with the zombies.

does anyone carry an onboard welder?

no beer? for fu*k's sake, at least carry a flask. good god man, i'd rather take my chances with the zombies.

does anyone carry an onboard welder?

all you need is 2 batterys, jumper cables and arc rods. so typically just some rods is all you need to carry. Jumper cables someone with a XJ will have, and then everyone has a battery, so borrow one and use the one you have now, or a dual battery setup.

all you need is 2 batterys, jumper cables and arc rods. so typically just some rods is all you need to carry. Jumper cables someone with a XJ will have, and then everyone has a battery, so borrow one and use the one you have now, or a dual battery setup.
good to know, although i havent stick welded in probably 10 years, and i wasnt any good back then. i was eyeing one of those portable wire feed welders, those are pretty rad (and expensive)

How bout a simple tire plug kit?

Back