• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radio question

frankrizzo

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a 99 cherokee 4.0 2 door. The factory radio turns on a the stations show up on the display but I have no sound at all. Its the factory unit with no CD or cassette. Is it a fuse or is the unit just crapped out?

Attach a known good speaker to each speaker output, or swap in a known good XJ stereo. It takes less that 5 minutes to swap a factory head unit.

There are 2 fuses for the radio, one is for constant power & other is for switched power. I agree with Tim_MN with his test. Just check the power situation first

Two different power sources.
Always on (for the clock)
Keyed to ignition (for the stereo)
Both are apparently working by your description so 12V is there at both sources.
Do what Tim said. My '98 factory stereo (yes, with a tape drive) died in the warranty period and I had it replaced at a dealer. Since then, I canned that thing and did the crutchfield.com route with a new head unit and all speakers.

I can't speak too much for your stereo, but if you check the fuse box there are two fuses, one for R-wire (runs the lights, stereo, and all always-on systems) and another separate fuse for stereo, if either one is out, typically the stereo will not turn on, but it may display the clock. A little less likely if your stereo has an amp on it, check and make sure the amp is getting power.

Also, perhaps pull the head unit out and check to see if maybe the wiring/connector rattled partially loose.

Ignoring these, it's probably a blown head unit, which are cheap at walmart.

If you have the Infinity Audio system there will also be an amp under the rear seat that could have failed or have a blown fuse. Ways to tell the Infinity system? One is look for the amp. Two is you'll have tweeters in the sail panels of the doors. If you determine it is the head unit you can replace aftermarket or OEM. That style of head unit was used in many Chrysler vehicles, and should be very easy to find. It will not matter if either hase the Infinity system or not. They are all interchangeable.

Back