• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

La Dee Flats Development Project

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks ago with the blessings from our Chapter Prez. I have taken ownership of our trail at TSF (Saddle Up). As well as coordinating with ODF and other clubs for the purpose of fostering the growth of our hobby and relationship with our community. We have dubbed this as Trails Coordinator.

That being said I am working hard to develop a relationship with Those Guys Offroad for the purpose of developing and opening the La Dee Flats area as an OHV Park.

I have been communicating with Those Guys Offroad concerning the development and opening of La Dee Flats as an OHV recreation area like TSF. There will be a lot of thing going on this summer involved in this. Stream typing, Planning and actual trail carving.

We will be building these trails in the USFS in conjunction with the ODF staff from TSF, specifically Dave Hiatt. Dave has put the requirement in place (that I support) that any volunteers that want to help build trails in La Dee attend a tour he will be leading at TSF in late April early May to discuss trail building techniques and methodologies.... in other words to show us all how to do it right. This "tour" will be on a week day, and it would be great if a bunch of the Naxja crew can come out and attend the tour. It will not only be a great show of force, but also a fun time wheeling!
..........................................................................................

Details on this: Direct from Those Guys Prez. "That Guy"

Hi Folks,

Things are coming together quick, and thats a good thing! As part of our La Dee Trail Building project ODF is asking our friends from the USFS to come out for a tour of TSF. This tour will be hosted by ODF and will be an opportunity for the USFS staff to see how a trail system can be done properly. As such I have been asked to round up potential Class II rigs to shuttle the USFS staff around in. This tour will feature many of the trails we know and love, as well as possibly some new not yet opened class II trails.

This run will likely occur during the work week but date has not yet been picked.

Your rig must be legal (OHV stickered... duh)
Have proper restraint devices
33's or better
winch optional
not leaking fluids
2-4 seater
CB

You should be
Professional
Courteous
Able to crawl without scaring the crap out of your passenger
not to proud to take the mild line depending on your passengers comfort level

I know that work day wheeling can be tough, as soon as I have a date I will post it up to give as much notice as possible. The one thing I will say that taking this day off from work will go a long way to making trails happen in La Dee, and also extend our relationship with both ODF and the USFS even further.

Attendance in this - (or the other tour) is a requirement for working on Class II trails in La Dee. More details on this to come.....

I will be attending this event and I urge any of you that want to become more involved to do so as well.

Also there is a need for Equipment to do the actual carving of trailwhen the time comes. The following is a bit more detail on what will be needed.

Hello Folks,

While we are still in the planning stages of the Class II trail system for the La Dee Flats area of the MT Hood National Forest, one of the needs we have identified will be for some equipment and trained operators. The building of the trails will require equipment to move rock (dump truck or trailer), excavator to rough in the trail route, place rock, shape the trail tread and mine all existing rock from the old road beds for utilization on the trails. As such, we are looking for some help from our forum members and fellow OHV enthusiasts who may have access to equipment or can operate the equipment needed for trail construction. Is this something you can help with?

We will be looking for the following equipment;
... larger excavator with rock bucket/thumb and blade
5 yard capacity rock capable dump truck (or tow vehicle and rock capable construction dump trailer)
1 yard capacity dump trailer for trail rock delivery behind a 4WD tow vehicle
If you or someone you know has access to this equipment and would be willing to volunteer to help build a challenging, sustainable class II OHV system in the MT Hood National Forest, please let me know either by logging into the forum and responding to this thread, or by simply replying to this email. Even if you do not have access to the exact equipment listed above but have something similar, or just want to help make this happen, please let us know! We will need your support to make this dream become a reality!

Thank you,

That
Guy aka Jon
President
Those Guys Off Road

You can view the full announcement by following this link:
http://thoseguysoffroad.com/tgorforum/index.php?topic=1259.0

Regards,
The Those Guys Off Road Team.

And here is the latest update to that last part.

We have had some additional volunteers offer up assistance.

• Ham op to help run coms for us. I do believe that this will be helpful
  • 10 yard dump truck to help haul rock
  • Diesel tow rig with a 10K trailer to help haul stuff
  • Equipment Operators
  • The NAXJA Northwest Chapter crew showing the love via AwesomeXJ (this will be a really cool partnership)
Keep the love coming!!! The more equipment we can wrangle up the faster this goes.

Thanks again for everyone stepping up, I am freaking excited to make this happen!!!

.................................................................................

More Info will be post as soon as I have it.

Here's to the future of our Hobby and Chapter!!! :guitar:

Thank you, Aaron! I will be keeping my eye's on this! Please keep up the work and i will be there to help anytime!

I'd be interested in assisting in trail building but apparently my Jeep doesn't qualify for the minimum requirement for the tour at TSF.

Thanks for stepping up, Aaron. :thumbup:

We got the man power, we just need a someone to coordinate it.

Keep us in the loop. I'll gladly lend a hand when needed.

Also, let me know if you have any questions for Saddle Up, or want to brain storm some ideas.

:D will do. I have to wait on the saddle up stuff until its actually accessable. I have plans in the works already. The possitive thing about saddle up being at such a high elevation is that it eventually becomes unpassable with snow so it doesn't get used as much. Plus skills and knowledge from the work at La Dee will transfer to improvements on saddle up. Thanks for all the support.

I can help out with the tour, and I also have a dump trailer that I can use from a friend. I will try to get ahold of another friend on the excavator and dump truck. He rides his quads up there and probably wouldnt mind helping out either.

I can help out with the tour, and I also have a dump trailer that I can use from a friend. I will try to get ahold of another friend on the excavator and dump truck. He rides his quads up there and probably wouldnt mind helping out either.

Awesome. Thank you. I will add you to the list for support and the tour. I'll message you with more details.

Ive got a case skidsteer/ backhoe with 12k equipment trailer and diesel 1 ton 4x.

id be happy to donate my time and equipment to this good cause.

Ive got a case skidsteer/ backhoe with 12k equipment trailer and diesel 1 ton 4x.

id be happy to donate my time and equipment to this good cause.

Sweet. Thanks for stepping up moneypit. I'll add you to the list and send you a pm for contact info.

Dave, are you available to wheel something during the week to participate in the trail tour with USFS and ODF? Doesn't have to be a jeep. It can be anything.

I have my daily but it's only on 31's no armor at all. I didnt read very well to see this would be during the work week.

Dave

Last edited:
I have my daily but it's only on 31's no armor at all. I didnt read very well to see this would be during the work week.

Dave

There is one during the week that is with USFS staff and land managers. which is the day that you would need a more than capable rig. Then there is a ODF Trail building training day on a weekend. with no rig requirements.

Back