• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 truss.. who's to buy?

Project00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am Going to be putting a set of 44's from an 86 waggy into my 00 XJ. I am all set with what I need for the rear, but need some help locating a truss for the steer axle. Not really interisted in a "build kit", but more of a complete truss with everything incorperated. The T&T truss looks great but is quite expensive. Do any of you guys know of anyone building a comparable setup that isnt $700? Any info would help! thinking about running ruffstuff's Y-link steering.

my 44 had the BTF fab truss when i bought it. out of all the completely honkey bracketry that was on it, it was the only thing that i retained. its sweet, in the sense that it lets you tie the diff cover into the truss:

426287_305247369529686_100001332774399_719575_73376096_n.jpg

my only grip is that it doesnt really span enough of the passenger side tube to be a supper effective truss, but my tubes are 1/2" thick, so i doubt ill be bending anything. my bigger concern is the passenger side UCA mount. i plan to add a little more bracing like "JMO4yaXJ" did in this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1081529

Everything Ive read says stay away from the tnt truss.
I have never owned one but almost did until I searched around about them.
I ended up buying and artec truss for my d60.
Looks great and Is damn beefy just make some mounts for it. I will be running airshocks as well for ease of mounting though.

Having purchased the TnT kit, cutting it half way apart, and rewelding everything so it worked in my application, I should have saved the $500 and built my own.

I was doing a rather random mismatch of parts to make it all work, so an off the shelf truss wouldnt have worked regardless of whos I used.

But, build your own. Its easy to do, and MUCH cheaper than what you can buy.

my 44 had the BTF fab truss when i bought it. out of all the completely honkey bracketry that was on it, it was the only thing that i retained. its sweet, in the sense that it lets you tie the diff cover into the truss:

426287_305247369529686_100001332774399_719575_73376096_n.jpg

my only grip is that it doesnt really span enough of the passenger side tube to be a supper effective truss, but my tubes are 1/2" thick, so i doubt ill be bending anything. my bigger concern is the passenger side UCA mount. i plan to add a little more bracing like "JMO4yaXJ" did in this thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1081529
is that just a piece of flat plate on the top? looks like it does very little for structural integrity.

is that just a piece of flat plate on the top? looks like it does very little for structural integrity.

I was thinking that too. It might work for mounting an upper bracket, but wouldn't do much to stop the axle from bending.

I wasn't going to post this since you asked for a good prebuilt one, but you're not getting much other input here.

If you own an angle grinder, a welder, drill, and tape measure, go buy a sheet of 1/4" steel and build your own, it's real easy. And that way you know it'll fit too.

100_1214.jpg

100_1596.jpg

We did a TNT truss on my buddies XJ and everything fit great, granted he had to install the lower mount himself since he had an iron rock long arm kit

Ive heard and seen too many negative issues with the TNT trusses. And the price, ouch!! The way I look at it is this; if youre buying a truss and have the means to weld it on, you have the means to build youre own. Just make a simple truss from inner C to C outta some rect tubing (2x4, 2x6, 3x5 ,etc). Notch to fit the center section, add link brackets and notch out coil buckets. I built one outta 3x6x5/16 to fit my narrowed HP60.

It sounds like the TNT is kinda hit and miss? Mine was a hit. I got a TNT for my waggy 44, and it worked great. It was cheaper back then, though:rof:. If I did it again, and it was $700, I doubt I would consider it. If it was still like $350 like it seems like it was, I would totally do it again :greensmok

Back