• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Factory Cargo Light and Switch

OverlandMJ

NAXJA Forum User
My MJ was not equipped with the light. I do have the wire for the light and the pig tail for the switch. I just got a factory light with the switch and tried to hook it up to see how it works. I tested the switch with my fog lights and the switch works fine. With the switch connected to the pig tail on the right side of the column I get no power to the switch. There is a few more pig tails under the dash not connected. Im wondering what I dont have connected to get power to the switch. Any one ever encountered this before? I would like to use the factory harness instead of hard wiring it.

Thanks
Gary

Haven't yet but I want to put one on mine when I find it. Remind me later and I will check my 91 fsm.

Your '88 will have the wiring behind the switch pod to the left of the steering column. The wiring is the pink, pink/blk, & black pigtail. The connector for the actual light for the back of the truck is wrapped and tucked behind the drivers b-pillar interior panel up high near the cab interior light. This wiring was deleted in the '91-'92 MJ. It's only there '86-'90 MJ.

GJEEP, thany you. After searching I found the wiring all tucked away. Even had a piece of paper saying cargo light switch. Its all working fine, I havent installed the light yet because I will need to remove the rear topper. I wonder what that other switch is for. I guess XJ's had this harness as well. I just found another cargo light and he has 2 switches. The solo cargo light switch and the fog/cargo light switch as well. Glad I found it, I hear they are hard to come by. I am thinking of using the other cargo light mounted on the back of the scrambler I will be starting very soon.

Today I found an 88 MJ LWB at the yard. First one to touch it! Got the interior lights and the tailgate liner, all the motor vac lines because mine were shot and it runs smooth now. Too bad it was a long bed or I would have grabbed the oem bed liner. I am debating on going back for the tailgate that had no rust and was straight, just that the PO had screwed hinges to the top of it. My tailgate is bad but it will last a few years untill I start rebuilding the MJ. Checked, no 44 , and the rear bumper was shot. O well

Sure enough I checked my 91 FSM and it has nothing about the cargo area light. That's odd because I could swear there was a connector for the switch in the dashboard last time I had the bezel off.

Any chance you would like to trade a cargo light more suited to a Scrambler's body lines (not sure, but I would suspect it's got a different outline than the MJ cab...) for the second cargo area light you have? Hell I'll buy one you like brand new in exchange if you want, I can't find them anywhere up here.

Ken, there is a plug for the switch behind the dash, I was looking on the wrong side. I got it connected works fine.

The back side of the scrambler hard top works great with an MJ cargo light, I tested it for fit. Fits great. Im going to have to think about that ken haha. I will have a couple factory switches.. We will talk before NAC FEST.. I really would like that rear bumper you have. Coming home from the JY today I saw a MJ with the cargo light.. first MJ I have run into that had one. I am still waiting on the seller of this other light to get back to me, im waiting on payment info. He better get back to me.

In the mean time I will be searching for another for ya Ken.

If you see one I will pay any reasonable price and quite negotiable on parts as well.... :eyes: Let me know Gary.

The extra switch wiring - Is it in the switch pod on the right side of the column? If so it may be there for hte Power/Comfort switch on auto equipped Renix Jeeps.

It's in the one on the left, next to the fog light switch. Same spot as would be occupied by the rear defrost switch on an XJ iirc.

Found another one Ken. Just emailed him. I'll let you know.

I would like to have a rear cargo light myself. Would you have another one? I have the rear wire for the light and I found the plug under the dash, I just need the switch and light.

I mounted my light yesterday. Looks good I'll haveto take some pics. Also put on a tri fold tonneau cover. I have a light in line for ken should get it next week or so. I'll let you know if find another and I'll let you know High2by.

Gary

I mounted my light yesterday. Looks good I'll haveto take some pics. Also put on a tri fold tonneau cover. I have a light in line for ken should get it next week or so. I'll let you know if find another and I'll let you know High2by.

Gary

Thanks. How does the tonneau look? Is it MJ specific?

It looks good. It's not MJ specific it's for a ranger. I will post up some pics soon enough.

Ken, tried to pm you. Pm me when you get a chance.
Thanks

my PM inbox is badly overfull (I didn't even know that was possible) as I'm sure you noticed... I gotta do something about that.

Back