• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle gears...break in question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready to have myaxles regeared and understand the rear axle break in procedure but what about the front?

Since the front axle isnt being "driven" in 2wd on hard pavement seems to me that normal street driving isnt going to break the front gears in I mean it isnt like i can put it in 4wd on dry pavement....

Last edited:
Sure you can, you just can't turn that's all. :) I never really over thunk it like it seems you might have and my gears are fine. I would definitely go easy on it and change the fluid in the first 500 miles to get any metal flakes out of it. Putting a magnet in the bottom of the housing is a great idea as well.

Im getting ready to have myaxles regeared and understand the rear axle break in procedure but what about the front?

Since the front axle isnt being "driven" in 2wd on hard pavement seems to me that normal street driving isnt going to break the front gears in I mean it isnt like i can put it in 4wd on dry pavement....

Take it off road for a couple of hours, But take it easy!

Or if you cant get off road, take out the rear driveshaft & drive around in 4WD (Now FWD) for a few hours, But take it Very easy because the XJ handles differently as a FWD vehicle.

Then take off the diff cover, Clean everything up with brake cleaner & replace with clean diff fluid.

i wouldnt worry aboout it, you really think they ever got broken n from the factory on any 4wd?

i wouldnt worry aboout it, you really think they ever got broken n from the factory on any 4wd?

Because of various requirements (MPG, noise, etc..) OEM gears are manufactured to a much higher standard than aftermarket gears not requiring the same break in procedure as aftermarket gears.
They also cost much more $$

Unless it's a vacuum disconnect axle, the front gears are turning, even if they aren't driven, and will warm up just fine. The gears break themselves in. No need to do anything fancy.

IMO, don't worry about breaking-in the front gears. How many hundreds of thousands of people have re-geared a 4wd vehicle and not had an issue? You aren't cruising at 55mph in 4wd, you are typically doing less than 10mph.

Back