• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mild adventure rig plans - feedback wanted

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
So, the girl and I are planning a long road trip through the southwest. Two major sets of mountains, two deserts, some highway, some dirt. Probably towing a small camper - well under 5,000 lbs (the factory tow package rating).
1998, 4.0, AW4.

I'm at stock height and wanting to stay there, running 235s on the D30/ 8.25 setup.

My plan, currently, is to do the WJ swap for front brakes and add Hellwig (or similar) HD anti-sway bars. Currently have ZJ rears. I've already got Bilstein HD shocks on all four corners. I'd finish it off with helper springs in the rear.

I've considered an electric fan conversion to add more cooling power + less drag on engine. I've also thought about Precision 4-hole injectors for better power / economy. Already have a cold air setup.

Am I overlooking anything? Engine oil cooler? larger trans cooler? Anything else I can do for stability? Worried about the girlfriend driving the rig, she isn't used to anything like a truck, and so I want to make it as stable & friendly as I can.

Upgraded injectors, definitely. Aftermarket trans cooler, yes. Better than stock muffler couldn't hurt.
You are aware that doing the WJ swap, with the steering angles you will need to run OTA trackbar mount, modify stock sway bar mounts.

At stock height and 235's, I would consider a good set of front pads and high quality rotors instead of a full WJ swap. It would cost a lot less and installs in an afternoon. I ran Black Magic pads with Centric rotors and with 31's it completely transformed the braking from marginal to pretty good. And I would toss on the ZJ V8 tie rod setup. It's a lot beefier and can be had with Moog parts for under $150.

JKS quick discos if you want a little more flex offroad. Super easy to use and no extra noises.

Skid plates should also be considered if you think you'll be dragging it over anything. Even the stock ones would be useful.

I'd thought that you could run stock steering on WJ knuckles without any clearance / angle issues. Is that not true?
From what I'd read, most of the issues people have had were around aligning drag link and track bar once they'd moved the drag to the higher of the two arms + the crossover tie rod hitting the sway link mounts & / or the diff cover. I'd hoped to avoid both issues by using stock steering, which is all I feel I need at stock height w/ 235s
I'll plan on the injectors + larger trans cooler under the hood, maybe a cat back + electric fan.

On sway bars - I disagree. I think the side to side motion of the jeep is under-controlled even with new bilsteins & poly sway bushings. With a trailer & a side wind, it isn't any better.
Trailer will probably be #1500 or less, more or less a rolling bedroom w/ awning & kitchen / camp supplies stored inside it or maybe in the jeep.

As for the swaybar I'd just recommend getting the 28mm sway bar available from the factory usually in the country editions. Get that and some poly mounts for the swaybar and swaybar links and that would help stiffen it up quite a bit. As for the rear you have a couple of options, you can get the leaf helpers like you mentioned, air adjustable shocks, or helper shocks that have coils over the shock body. Helped a guy install the coil over shocks on a old S10 that he used to haul way to much stuff and it helped surprisingly well. Plus when you're not towing they can easily be swapped out for regular shocks again.

for a 1500 lb trailer, nothing is needed. however, none of the things listed will hurt, and increasing the rear spring rate with helpers is probably the most important item. I have towed 5k with a stock jeep a couple times and 4k many times. In order to get enough tongue weight, the rear bottoms out at those weights, but with 1500 pounds you are good to go. Stock brakes are fine, IF they are in good shape and properly adjusted and bled.

I'd thought that you could run stock steering on WJ knuckles without any clearance / angle issues. Is that not true?
From what I'd read, most of the issues people have had were around aligning drag link and track bar once they'd moved the drag to the higher of the two arms + the crossover tie rod hitting the sway link mounts & / or the diff cover. I'd hoped to avoid both issues by using stock steering, which is all I feel I need at stock height w/ 235s
I'll plan on the injectors + larger trans cooler under the hood, maybe a cat back + electric fan.

I didn't think about stock steering, In that case should work. Definitely upgrade the tie rod. V8ZJ tie rod if cheap. Otherwise definitely go for an aftermarket one.

My 96 Sport came with front and rear sway bars and it could hang with Civics around on ramps. It was super stable. Your girlfriend doesn't need truck experience to drive an XJ, it's essentially a station wagon. Stock, the roof is considerably lower than most minivans even. Mine at 5.5" of lift and 33s sits maybe an inch taller than my wife's Caravan. I'd just get her out with the trailer for practice beforehand.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Mine has no rear sway bar right now which has never bothered me, though I might put an Addco or Hellwig back there just for good measure.
I like the idea of WJ vs Black Magic mostly for heat capacity. I think larger pads & rotors will handle it better. Maybe I'm over thinking this, though.

Hmm, right. I'm running 15" alloys. I'll have to figure that into the cost as I compare my plans. I am pretty sure I want better braking if I am going to tow across the Sierras / Rockies. We'll see. Black Magic might be getting a call after all... wheels & tires not being cheap.
Headlight harness in the works, just gotta find all the pieces.

May want to think about running auxiliary lighting, too. Driving in the middle of nowhere, it's nice to light up the whole area around you.

I almost destroyed a coyote on my honeymoon - a good set of flood/fog lights may have prevented such a close encounter. Plus, who doesn't like more light?

Back