• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tires binding?

1904xj

NAXJA Forum User
so a couple of weeks ago i swapped out my D35 to a C8.25. the guy i got it from said it was pulled from an automatic xj and his mech that looked at it said it had 3.55 gears. so figuring that i have a 93 xj automatic the gears will be the same as my front end.

anyways today i went out to do a little wheelin and my rear tires seemed as though they were locking up or binding. and they did this for the whole trail. it seemed like my rear drums were stopping the tires every second.

no is this seem like a transfer case issue? (i have the np231) or is it possible that the guy i bought my axle from was wrong about the gear ratio that was in there?

If it really was from an auto 4.0L xj, then it would be 3.55s. Jack up the vehicle, pull the cover off and count the revolutions of the tire in comparison to the ring turning once.
There may be a tag on the axle.
What kind of terrain were you on? More than likely if it was 3.07s (or a different gear ratio) in 4wd something would go BOOM!
Did you adjust the shoes? Bleed brakes properly?

well it only happens when im in 4wd. in 2wd no problems whatsoever. that is why i htink it *may* be different ratios. unless for some reason the shoes will become tighter on the drums in 4wd. but i doubt that

also it has no ABS. but my jeep has ABS so i just cut the wires so i wont have ABS anymore.

the terrain i was on was just dirt/loose rock/mud. but it was doing that binding thing on the dirt as well as the gravel road to where i was wheelin.

possibly the rear is 3.73 and came out of an upcountry tow pakage... ratios would be close enough not to Bomb the T-case immediately and would cause a TON of binding issues

would T case binding just affect the rear axle or both? because my rear tires will rotate then briefly stop as if i hit the brakes then keep on rotating and briefly stop again. it only does this in 4wd. 4hi and 4lo. my front axle has no issues when in 4wd.

no tags on the axle either, so besides dropping the cover to count the teeth my only other option is to rotate the DS and count the tire spin. but if the ratio is 3.73 like you said, will using that way to figure out the ratio be close to 3.55 gears?

I'd use the method on BOTH front and rear to see if you get the same result for both ends. If you get the same result, then something else is amiss.

ok well considering that i *may* have different ratios in the frond and rear should i remove my front drive shaft? or am i good to drive around town with it in? because the rear tires only seem to lock up a little when its in 4wd. in 2wd im fine. but just for the sake of it i dont want to ruin anything further.

I have different ratios in mine, and drive it daily. As long as you do NOT put it in 4wd til you get this sorted out you will be fine. YOu might pick up some MPG with the front driveshaft out..

well i didi have it in 4wd cause i was on a trail and thats when i noticed it. it did the binding on the dirt but seemed fine in the mud i went through. but so far everything seems to work fine in 2wd. i wont put it in 4wd till i sort it out. but do you really think i may have gotten a 3.73 rear instead of the 3.55?

if the tag is missing, it is a good possibility that someone had changed the gears also. you may actually have some 4.10s in there. best to just open it up and look.

many manufacturers will stamp the gear ratio on the ring gear edge. some only put the tooth count. either way you can figure out the ratio. if you can see the pinion gear enough you can allways count the teeth yourself, then divide the numbers. (45 divided by 12 = 3.75) you get the idea.

Chock front wheels, put transmission neutral, jack up only one rear wheel, rotate only one complete rotation and count the number of times the yoke turns. That will be your gear ratio. You can rotate the tire more than once, but then divide the number of rotations of the tire by the pinion rotation. For example if you rotate the tire once and the pinion turns ~3.5 turns you have 3.55:1 gears. If you rotate the tire twice and the pinion turns 8.25 revolutions you have 4.11:1 gears. Repeat on the front axle.

Chock front wheels, put transmission neutral, jack up only one rear wheel, rotate only one complete rotation and count the number of times the yoke turns. That will be your gear ratio. You can rotate the tire more than once, but then divide the number of rotations of the tire by the pinion rotation. For example if you rotate the tire once and the pinion turns ~3.5 turns you have 3.55:1 gears. If you rotate the tire twice and the pinion turns 8.25 revolutions you have 4.11:1 gears. Repeat on the front axle.

With the play from pinion backlash, it could be difficult to tell 3.55's from 3.73's.
OP: just pull the covers. Do you really want to run oil of unknown condition in your new diff? Plus you want to get all the old gear fuzz out of the housing. Putting a dot of paint on the tooth you start counting on will make it a little easier.

Also consider ordering some Lube Locker gaskets. Makes pulling the cover a cinch.

With the play from pinion backlash, it could be difficult to tell 3.55's from 3.73's.
OP: just pull the covers. Do you really want to run oil of unknown condition in your new diff? Plus you want to get all the old gear fuzz out of the housing. Putting a dot of paint on the tooth you start counting on will make it a little easier.

Also consider ordering some Lube Locker gaskets. Makes pulling the cover a cinch.

thats what i was concerned about because of the small ratio difference. anyways there is a number stamped on the bottom of the third member on the c8.25 is there any web site that will assist me with that? or is it a lost cause?

Not to sound rude but just pull the darn cover... You have an unknown ratio best way to find out is look at the stamp on the ring gear. Plus if you never did a fluid change when you put it in do you even know the ACTUAL condition of the gears in there? Taking the cover off is very easy. Get 2 bottles of 75-90 or 80-90 gear oil for the refill.

main reason for not pulling the cover was because i already had the cover pulled and i cleaned the inside and put in fresh diff oil. i did not count the gears cause the guy told me it was 3.55 and it was from a 91 xj with auto(my fault for not doing so. i know i know). when i pulled the cover everything looked fine. he did tell me he had to remove a beat up factory locker though.

anyways i live in an apartment not a house so i dont have jack stand laying around. i usually drive to my buddys house for jeep stuff. i just wanted to know if there was an easier way such as the numbers that are stamped on the bottom of the housing. if not and i have to pull the cover ill just do so tomorrow. thanks anyways everybody for your help though.

Back