• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ujoints

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... even though I think mine are still fine, I'm thinking about picking up the replacement sets and throwing them into the "spare parts" bin that I take on the trail.... this is following the law that if you got it you don't need it :)

What do you guys recommend? and where to get it from? it's going onto my 98XJ with the stock shaft and about 3" ~ 3.5" lifted front.....

Thanks
Kejtar
P.S. I'm not asking about the rear as I got a new shaft in there which came with spicer ujoints :D

Always a good idea.

I won't run anything but Spicer u-joints. Get them to match what you have, and in your case, the fronts should be 297x or the newer 760x u-joints.

Any decent drivetrain shop will have Spicer, auto parts shops tend to be hit and miss.

how do I find out which ujoints I have? And please don't say take off the shaft as I just went through that while playing with noise, vibration and transmission leakage and I don't wanna take them off and put them on again (I know it's not that hard I just don't wanna touch it for a while LOL)

Kejtar

Charles, since I know very little about ujoints this question might be dumb... but if I go with the 760X's if I bust one on the trail the swap would not be harder then if I had the 297s?

Also do I just call up and tell them I got D30 and I want 760's and they will know what I'm asking for??

Oh.. and are 760's greasable? if so should I carry a mini grease gun on the trail? or grease them before I stick them into parts bin??

Kejtar

760x u-joints are physically the same dimensions as a 297x. The cross itself is heavier. There shouldn't be any difference between changing a 297x or a 760x.

Actually, you don't need to pull the axles out to check whether you've got a 260x or a 297x (760x is the same size, remember?) The cap diameter is different. I don't have the measurements handy.

In any event, with a 98, you've almost certainly got 297x u-joints.

I have ordered 5-760X U-joints from Drive Train Direct and they can be delivered to you in about 1 day. Changing the U-joints while the axles are out of the vehicle should take about 30-45 mins per axle depending upon what tools you have on hand.
The D30 in the 98 XJ definitely has 5-297X U-joints and the 5-760X is a direct swap.
I will be rebuilding my spare set of D30 axles in the next few days.
The 297X and 760X are sealed U-joints and do not have a zerk fitting.

Last edited:
Damn..... DTD is out of them..... gonna try calling around.... anyone has any suggestions as to who might have 760's in stock??? btw, 760 is the official replacement for 297 which is no longer available...

Kejtar
P.S. IIRC there is 3 ujoints on my front shaft right?

Remi, are youb talking about the front drive shaft or the front axles? The drive shaft takes a different u-joint than the axles. They should be a 1310 series joint inthe driveshaft, but seeing that it is 3:45am I can't remember the part numbe right now. The joints inthe double cardan are a PITA to change, and I'd rather have a driveline shop do it.

Dan

well it is the front dshaft I'm talking about and yeah... I might have someone do them for me down the road, but I want a set of spares for the trail :) (following Murphy's law #?? if you got a spare part, you will not need it)

Kejtar

Dan Turner said:
Remi, are youb talking about the front drive shaft or the front axles? The drive shaft takes a different u-joint than the axles. They should be a 1310 series joint inthe driveshaft, but seeing that it is 3:45am I can't remember the part numbe right now. The joints inthe double cardan are a PITA to change, and I'd rather have a driveline shop do it.

Dan

After reading the thread I realize that he was originally talking about the driveshaft, not the axle shafts.

"it's going onto my 98XJ with the stock shaft and about 3" ~ 3.5" lifted front...."
"P.S. I'm not asking about the rear as I got a new shaft in there which came with spicer ujoints"

Should be '1310' series joints, aka: Spicer # 5-153X

Here's a link: http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpeohnr8

lol... this shows how much I know about these things :) I didn't catch on to it either :D

Anyways, I like this price a lot better then the $18 to $25 that I kept finding everywhere :D

Anyways, all three in the front driveshaft are the same, right?

Kejtar

I recently picked up a trail spare. I just walked into a NAPA and they looked it up. My understanding is that the joint at the rear axel is the same as the one at the front; so one spare will cover ether failure. You should also get new straps (the things that hold the joint to the yoke) at the same time. You are never supposed to reuse them because they stretch when you install them.

Yes.... the front and rear driveshaft u-joints are the same. I usually carry two used spare 5-153X, two new 5-297X (had them since before the 5-760X were designed) and two rebuilt D30 axles with 5-760X.

Just thought I would give this a bump for anyone else searching for Spicer part numbers for their axles. I found it while searching for mine and found it very helpful. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Back