• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what gears should i use

Most will say you should swap the Turdy5 for something stronger and not waste money on that. That aside..
Questions, then my opinion..
Are you planning on going larger than 32"? If so, what size and how soon? DD? How much trail time? What kind of terrain? With that out of the way, without that knowledge here is my opinion.

The ratio's I mention will be for manual/auto. If your plan is up to 33s, then 3.73/4.10-.56; 33-35 4.10/4.56-.88 Anything numerically higher and you will need to swap axles.

I was thinking 4-10! I might get 33s later but that might be the biggest ill go. I do some climbing but not to often more desert stuff and freeway and think of hauling a small pop up trailer or a small one axle toy hauler....

You don't say which transmission you have and that makes a difference...

32s or 33s with an AX15 is a good combination with 4.11:1 gears. The same tires with the AW4... I would go with 4.56:1 gears.

Come to think of it, I did go with 4.56:1 gears and P285/75R16 (32.8") tires behind my AW4. With that combination, the mechanical advantage I have over a stock rig is 10.2%. Which is to say that the engine runs 10.2% faster at any given road speed.

So what, you ask... Well, you sort of need the advantage just to turn the larger tires without putting additional strain on the driveline. Now you are going to ask, "How in h3ll can he possibly know, for sure, that it is 10.2%?" Good question, and that is the value I had to plug into my AEM F/IC's Frequency table in order to correct the Odometer. Without the correction, the speedo/odometer is precisely 10.2% fast. Ergo, if I had to slow the speedo down, the driveshaft speed is up from stock. To be sure, the speedo really only reflects how fast the rear drive shaft is turning...

Here, http://www.ramblerman.com/blazer/gearcalc.htm ,is a fairly good calculator that can let you know what to expect.

Personally, I have ran 4.11s with the AX15 and it works good with the exception of running up Ute Pass here in Colorado. Had to stay out of 5th for that. The pass rises 2000 feet in less than 15 miles...

I ran 4.56's with my XJ on 32's. Put 4.10's in first, then swapped them out for the 4.56's a year later. Absolutely fantastic with the 4.56's, and if you go to 33's, they're still good. AW4 automatic trans. 1996 4.0L XJ with Chry 8.25 rear.

Back