• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter clutch lock up intermittent

TazXJ

NAXJA Forum User
'98 Ltd, 147K, no real maint records from the PO. I got back home Friday night from Arkansas with this thing, drove 1,100 miles total with sight seeing. Two of the under hood harnesses are a hack job with crappy connectors going under the truck to the trans. I did continuity test them through the connectors & they had power. The TCM harness has a butt splice on the blue / white wire for Tq conv lock up. That has continuity through it. The fluid is dirty, i plan on dropping the pan for filter service, my question is.....can i test continuity to the TC lock up solenoid with out dropping the valve body? How hard is the solenoid to replace (if wiring checks out ok)?

Its not the brake switch, TPS, or NSS. The cruise works fine (does not hiccup when the cruise is engaged [my 5.9's TPS is flaky & does this] & the TC locks up), the reverse lights come on, and when the TC doesnt lock up i tried wiggling the shifter in OD & D on the highway, bumped it in N and the cruise disengaged as it should. When the TC does lock, its smooth, no noise, no vibration or shudder.....so i assume the TC isnt smoked. Trans shifts awesome otherwise, just like my '99 Classic did. Crappy idle though, i think the injectors or grounds for them are bad. Yes i checked the back of the wiring loom. Engine runs very strong on the highway, lots of power, more than my stock '99 ever had. Great mileage too, way better than my 5.9 Limited!

anything I'm overlooking?

I drove it last night and again tonight, and the TC locked up as it should...I'm still thinking electrical. I have yet to get UNDER it and look at the NSS and the rest of the wiring.

Torque converter clutch lock up intermittent, it locks up when it wants to. I figure it's the solenoid. MAYBE the wiring going to it.

I concur on the solenoid. I had the same problem. I replaced the solenoid to fix it.

Fix the hack job on the trans wiring first. Solder and shrink tube.

I looked at my '99 XJ FSM lastnight & it looks like if I need to replace the solenoid, it's right there & I don't have to drop the valve body to replace it.

I was able to crawl under it yesterday and look at the trans wiring, yeah.....there's another butt splice on a wire by the trans, the wiring is out of the loom, and resting on the trans cooler line where it comes out of the trans. I hope it's just a crappy connection, the TC has been locking up fine lately.

I forgot to add, when I picked this thing up, the CEL is either burnt out or removed. It had SEVEN codes in it, a P0700 (general trans issue), a P1698 (no signal from TCM to CCD bus), and open circuits in every injector except #3.

Last edited:
Back