• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removeing rear seat belts

96JerseyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone,

I am starting a complete floor pan R&R on my 96 XJ and have run into a problem. I did a search on seat belt removal but did not find the answer.. hope someone has it..

So, how the heck to you get the rear seat belts out...:cry: These are the OEM sholder harness ones... so far I got the pannels loose and the rear seats out but can't figure out these dam things... your help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...:cheers:

I just did this on my 98 XJ and I can tell you it looks more complicated that it really is.

You have to take out all of following bolts on each belt system:

- bottom corner torx-headed bolt on each side of the rear seat
- top anchor torx-headed above the window in the roof

...and then you can thread the seat belt through slot on the rear panel.

Look at the backside of the panel and you will see the small plastic rectangle (the seat belt runs through this) snaps in/out the main rear panel. Just pop that out from the back side and the entire belt system is able to be threaded out to remove that panel from the belt system.

Just be sure to take pictures of it with a camera/ camera phone so you can see how it all goes back together later.

Thanks for the quick response Non-StopXJ, will give it a try after I pick up a impact driver to remove the torx bolts holding the seat belts to the floor...

Last edited:
That is why I am waiting until I pick up the impact driver, saw an episode on Trucks working on a Wrangler, used one of these to break the Torx bolt loose..

take a wire wheel to the back side of the bolts to scrape off rust/undercoating before you try to take them out.

Back