• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does the height of the steering box spacer have to be perfect?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed stock is 5/8" thick, what would it effect to be 1/2" 3/4"or 7/8" thick other than adjusting my steering a little to re center it? How critical is it to be right on?

Re: Does the depth of the steering box spacer have to be perfect?

You mean the aluminum spacer behind the box? It has to be spaced out enough so the box doesn't hit the frame and mounts flat relative to the frame. Otherwise the bolts will be slightly kinked. I'm sure none of us have ever measured what you are talking about. :)

goatman I bought some 1" .250 wall Dom (1/2" Id) yesterday and I have 1/4" plate to weld to it, as long As the spacers are the same I shouldn't have a problem being slightly larger than stock?

then cut 1/2" spacers, and drill a 1" hole in the quarter plate to pass tem thru. Dont add em all up.

I had to add some thick washers in between my C-rock plate the durango box to get it to clear. No issues to my knowledge

Who moved this? If you read all 6 posts, it would become clear that we aren't discussing the crappy stock al. One.

Not at all. I made mine out of 3/16 plate with pieces of 1/4 strap drilled and welded together in a stack. Ghetto but it works and has given me zero problems.

It will affect your steering wheel center position (i.e. you have to readjust your drag link) but you will probably have to do that after pulling and replacing the steering box anyways.

edit: moved to mod tech

I would consider making yours tall enough to handle a Durango box just in case you decide to swap to one later.

Not at all. I made mine out of 3/16 plate with pieces of 1/4 strap drilled and welded together in a stack. Ghetto but it works and has given me zero problems.

It will affect your steering wheel center position (i.e. you have to readjust your drag link) but you will probably have to do that after pulling and replacing the steering box anyways.

edit: moved to mod tech

I would consider making yours tall enough to handle a Durango box just in case you decide to swap to one later.

Sorry, thought I put it in mod tech, idk how much bigger the Durango box is but hopefully a 1/2" spacer will be big enough

Sorry, thought I put it in mod tech, idk how much bigger the Durango box is but hopefully a 1/2" spacer will be big enough

It was in mod tech, then got moved to oem tech, the kastein moved it back to mod tech.

I am just waiting for someone to move it back to OEM tech now :dunno:

(mod tech mods - game of hot potato?)

I'm kind of lagging on this, I already added the 1/4" plate from my bumper bolts thru the steering box bolts and that hole just behind that like the jcr offroad setup. It seemed like it improved my steering just with that, but every little bit helps.

Big thing is to keep the bolts tight, whatever that takes.

my (free) C-rok kit came with sleeves (5/8 tubes) that go through the holes in the frame to help aid in anti crushing if the frame rail. are you guys adding these aswell? i think it is a good idea, and will help keep the bolts tight longer.

my (free) C-rok kit came with sleeves (5/8 tubes) that go through the holes in the frame to help aid in anti crushing if the frame rail. are you guys adding these aswell? i think it is a good idea, and will help keep the bolts tight longer.

I'm building my own spacer and iirc those 3 steering box bolts had sleeves already from the factory

Back