• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights wont shut off

Bjorn86

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled into the driveway the other night and turned off ignition. Pushed in knob to shut off the headlights and they wouldnt turn off. I messed around with it for a few minutes before turning the ignition back to "on", pushed knob in (lights went off) and then turned ignition to "off". Is this normal? Perhaps the headlight switch? If so, where is the switch located? I'm new to XJ's so any help is appreciated!

Are you sure you turned the lights off before you turned the ignition off?

My 01 will not turn off the headlights for a few minutes, if I shut the truck off first.

Yeah, at first I pulled into the driveway, put it in park, shut off the ignition and then pushed the knob in to turn off the lights and they just stayed on. I fiddled around for a few minutes and then turned the ignition back to on and pulled the knob back out, pushed it back in, the lights went off immediately, and then I turned the ignition off.

Probably the timer. They're known for doing that. Perhaps the OEM tech guys will be able to help better. I'll be moving this thread there.

My 1990 XJ Laredo has the headlight "sentry" feature. If you turn the ignition off before you turn the lights off it stays on so you can get into the house or whatever. The lights turn off after 90 seconds, I've timed it, 90 seconds on the nose. It may seem longer...or it may BE longer on other models. The 88 MJ Pioneer does not have the feature...or it's broken.

Turn lights off first, then ignition.

The 99 comes standard with headlight sentry, so if it didn't stay on it would be broken.

Switch lights off first and all goes off. Switch lights off after ignition, they stay on for 20-30 seconds. It's actually very handy if you need a little light to get to your front door.

Next time, check the time. It seems like forever even when it's right. If it's staying on for more than a minute, there may be a problem with the timer.

I would believe that there's a problem my 93 country does the same thing. If I turn off ignition then turn off headlights they will stay on until ignition is turned back on and lights turned off first. I know it's a lot longer than 90 seconds because one time a half hour later I noticed they were still on, so I just make sure I turn them off first.

My 93 Country and my wife's 98 Sport does this and works flawlessly. My 88 Sport, 89 MJ and 93 Sport did not come with the feature. (I wish they did.)

My 01 and my 85 both have sentry lights (dont really like them) i usually use the key trick to get them off right away. but if left alone they both turn off eventually ( never timed it).

as nuerotic as i am any time i leave the sentry to do its job i check back and ensure they worked. lol

Last edited:
My 01 and my 85 both have sentry lights (dont really like them) i usually use the key trick to get them off right away. but if left alone they both turn off eventually ( never timed it).

as nuerotic as i am any time i leave the sentry to do its job i check back and ensure they worked. lol

Yep, I'm the same way. I havent been able to drive this past week due to surgery and not being able to lift my leg into the Jeep, but you better believe I'll be looking out the window double checking every time I drive it.

its a delay relay .. its located somewhere accessable ... it is removable .. you can pull it and the lights will not stay on after you push the knob in .. i forget where it is .. i think you can google the location of the relay ..

Same thing. I thought it was a jeep thing. I do the check even if I hit the switch before killing the ignition. Now that I know this is NOT correct it would be nice to have it work. Does anyone know of the relay they are talking about??

On a 99, the delay module is attached to a little metal bracket behind the instrument panel. According to the FSM you get at it by removing the knee blocker. It plugs into the wiring harness. It shouldn't be too hard to find, since it's the only thing attached to the bracket.

Back