• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Cluster Problem

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Done some searching and didn't find a whole bunch. Recently I started having the usual 97+ instrument cluster issues where the gauges would drop out randomly while driving down the road. Pulled the cluster out, cleaned the connections, and all was well...or so I thought...

Now i'm having a problem where the gauges won't stay dead when they should be. When I shut the Jeep off, the gauges come back to life all on their own!

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/uncc_99xj/?action=view&current=MVI_1876.mp4

Cleaned the grounds at the battery and verified clean grounds elsewhere. Haven't cleaned ECU grounds (yet), as I wanted to see if somebody else out here has had the same problem before.

Hope it doesn't kill the battery. Jeep isn't a DD so it sits during the week. Guess I'll know in a few days if it's putting a drain on the system...

Check or replace the Auto Shut Down relay, and inspect the ignition switch for damage or electrical faults

Didn't think about the ASD. Would that cause problems like this though? I though when they went out the Jeep wouldn't even start?

Can you duplicate the problem with the engine not running...key to RUN, (fuel quantity and voltmeter read normally, oil pressure indicates momentarily the returns to zero), then engine off, key removed from the ignition switch?

Does this happen with the radio OFF and the doors closed?

Does the radio operate when the key is removed and the instruments come back to life like that? Turn radio on and see if it still works while the instruments behave like that.

Here's a schematic of all the modules on the CCD Bus. You may not have SKIM and an overhead console.

XJCCDDLC.jpg

Reference above schematic; you may want to check the CCD Bus using a digital voltmeter. With the ignition switch off, voltmeter set to 20 VDC, touch the positive lead of your voltmeter to pin 3 of the Data Link Connector (DLC) and the negative lead to pin 4 or 5, then positive lead to pin 11 and negative to 4 or 5 - you should read about .1 to .2 volts from pins 3 and 11. Anything above .1 to .2 volts indicates a short to the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) bus.

With the ignition switch in RUN, engine off, repeat steps above - you should read about 2.4 to 2.5 volts from pin 3 and 11. Anything above 2.5 volts indicates a bad module or a short in a module CCD Bus circuit.

What do you see?

Good lord, thanks!

It only happens with the ignition completely off. When the key is on, engine is off, everything reads fine (volt meter is where it should be, gas gauge reads good..etc). Even while the engine is running everything works fine.

Oddly enough, I went back outside last night to tinker with it some more after it sat for a couple of hours, and everything went back to reading zero all by itself....

Back