• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you think of my build list?

Restruction

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

This is my first build list please tell me what you think of it and if you think that you can improve it than please your more than welcome to add / change it.

Tell me what you think.

XJ 3.5in SUPERRIDE KIT

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=419_420_117 2_1176&products_id=86098&zenid=3f84d6b455cb10f03a6 c5a8e9d36dd7f

Cherokee XJ 84-01, Front, 3.5-4" Lift (Shocks)

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=419_1326_13 35_1336&products_id=87780

Cherokee XJ 84-01, Rear, 3.5-4" Lift (Shocks)

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=419_1326_13 35_1336&products_id=87781

Alloy USA Differential Cable Lock System (A permanent 4wd fix for me)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52435_0101.htm

Black Rock Series 950 Lobo Steel Wheel in Matte Black

15x8 with a 4" Backspacing <--- Tell me if that is good enough for my tires.

Item # 92613.0512
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92613_05XX_B_PG.htm

MICKEY THOMPSON Baja MTZ

https://www.onlinetires.com/product....50-15+mickey+thompson+baja+mtz+108q+owl.html

33x12.50R15

Daylighter - 6" Rnd Long Range - Chrome

http://www.kchilites.com/lights/daylighter/daylighter-100-watt-long-range-chrome

Please tell me if there are better prices or if anyone can improve on my build list. I welcome all help. Help this new Jeeper out.

Thanks.

I have trimmed already and I have been told that I have trimmed to much, Tell me what you think.

100_2728.jpg

100_2730.jpg

100_2744.jpg

soahctnelis

looks fine, did you cut past the pinch seam in the rear? its not recommended to do that alothough I ran mine cut for 2 years and no issues... I would at least cut slits in the rears and beat them back. and where are you putting 2 more kcs?? I would put some money into herculiner and clean up/ fix and coat the rockers.

Oh and a buch of PB blaster, start spraying every suspension bolt NOW...

RUUUUUUST....

besides that if you cut past the pinch seams in the rear fill the slot with expandable foam. Once it expands out saw it off with a drywall saw and spray paint it black.... problem solved

you are probably gonna want gears for your axles after putting 33s on it. Stock gears pretty much suck once you get past a 31 or so...

If you have a 4.0/standard you can "get away with" swapping in 3.55 ratio axles out of a 4.0/auto, it'll still be a bit of a dog and 5th will be damn near useless but it won't be as bad as the stock 3.07 gears. If you have a 4.0/auto you're really gonna want to get some decent gears... 4.56s would probably be ideal for either an auto or a manual really.

Gears aren't cheap, you're looking at around 250 bucks for each end, before labor costs.

if you're planning on wheeling it, i'd go with some frame stiffeners. having grown up in CT, i cant imagine that the "frame" is all too solid anymore. i dont miss rust....

New revised build list what do you think and what would I need?

This is my newly revised build list 1.1. Please tell me what you think of it and if you think that you can improve it than please your more than welcome to add / change it.

Tell me what you think.

Same:

I will be still be keeping 33x12.50R15 size tires, 6" KC Day Lighters.

Well I went to my local store where they build Jeeps & Trucks Extreme Vehicle Builders (AKA EVB) to ask them what kind of lift they would recommend to lift my newish 1989 Cherokee 5 speed Pioneer, and to also get, Tires, and Rims. This is what they recommended: BDS Suspension 3.5" lift (reason being for the life time warranty). As for tires I originally wanted Micky Thompson MTZ's as recommended to me by my local shop EVB. But now everyone around here uses them and that being said I would like to get a tire that no one around here usually has, being said the new 2 tires I would like to put on are either the Cooper Discoverer STT's or the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Dupont Kevlar both in the 33x12.50R15 flavor. As for rims they recommended Crager Soft 8's not something I like but it is cheap and affordable for me I just need them in the backspacing of 3.75-4.00 to clear my tires.

New Stuff:

Well looking into these new to me brands: IRO, Rusty's and Rough country are well within my price range and those kits are cheaper than what I was recommended from both Rubicon Express and BDS lift kits. And if IRO, Rustys, and Rough Country are good for trail rigs then I definitely want to go with one of them. Here are the different lift kits from all three sites and brands that are within my price range and my lift range. Trying to go the most cost effective route 'cause I don't thinking the Jeep will be following me very long due to moving.

1. (http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html) Jeep XJ Cherokee 3" Series 2 Suspension from Rough Country.

2. (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-X3LK&Category_Code=XLK) XJ 3" Lift Kit from IronRockOffRoad.

3. (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...its/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html) Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Lift Kit From Rusty's off road.

Now the lift kits mentioned do come with questions and concerns about each and every lift here's the questions.

1. For Rough Country: Do I need any of the Upgrades and Accessories that they offer? If so what would I need? This may sound stupid but are Add A Leaf worse then full spring packs? I'm guessing that Full Packs are better.

2. For IronRockOffRoad: This kit says that its a full kit is this true? Should I purchase it on a whim would I need anything? Does this kit have anything missing that's vital to making a complete kit? Do I need anything from the Accessories list?

3. Rusty's: The cheapest kit but also the most plain. I'm sure there's something missing here but I'm not sure what.. please tell me if there us anything missing here.

Out of the three kits mentioned which one is the best? And which one will serve me a good time off road?

I'm open to any other suggestions to lifts.

New Tires:

After a quick trip to my local store to get their recommendation on tires which they suggested Micky Thompson MTZ's I was all on board for that to pick up a set until I went outside and noticed everyone there was running the MTZ. Its not a bad thing but I just would like a tire that no one else around me has. So I suggested them to look up the price on Cooper Discoverer STT's and Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Dopont Kevlar. After looking for 5-10 minuets they came to the conclusion that they could not get the STT's because they could not match the price they told me that they just don't deal with Cooper often to make it happen. So I asked them to look up the GoodYear Wrangler MT/R with dopont Kevlar. It seems they could get it but they could not match pricing.

Now my question is where online or near by could I get the best price on tires near Brookfield 06804 CT or Danbury CT 06810? So far I've tried: Mavisdiscounttire, Discounttiredirect, TireRack, SimpleTire, Onlinetires, TireCrawler, and Treaddepot. (all online)

Black Rock Series 950 Lobo Steel Wheel in Matte Black

15x8 with a 4" Backspacing

Please tell me if there are better prices or if anyone can improve on my build list. I welcome all help. Help this new Jeeper out.

Thanks.
user_online.gif

Why are you looking for a tire no one else has? Just for looks or to be special or what? I don't get it.

Also, if you are going to sell the jeep soon due to moving, don't lift it, you will lose money, lifts/upgrades don't increase vehicle value in any meaningful way and make your target market smaller. Wait till after the move, get a rust free one, and lift that.

i really like the cooper SST's, i got a set of 35's on mine and they hook up very well. road manners are good too so far. i got mine at pepboys for 871 mounted and balanced with road hazzard warranty, plus they sent me a $40 store credit in the mail because i used their rewards card (not a credit card, but just like a Shaw's or Price Chopper card). 33's should be even cheaper. that was not a price they normally have, but after going around getting prices on different tires, i found some cheapo tires at Evans Tires, and Pep Boys said they would match the price even though it wasn't the same brand. i Suggest you do the same.

Also, if you are going to sell the jeep soon due to moving, don't lift it, you will lose money, lifts/upgrades don't increase vehicle value in any meaningful way and make your target market smaller. Wait till after the move, get a rust free one, and lift that.
this.

and assuming CT still has inspection, has it passed yet? that broken light and the rust might make that interesting.

your trim in the front is about right for 33's on 3" of lift with no bumpstops. although i assume you just trimmed until the biggest rust holes were gone, which i used to do there too :D

I wouldn't spend any money on a new lift and all, just find used parts and keep it cheap, that way when it folds in half from rust or other issues you dont have a ton of coin and got use out of it.

I wouldn't spend any money on a new lift and all, just find used parts and keep it cheap, that way when it folds in half from rust or other issues you dont have a ton of coin and got use out of it.

Xwhatever. I don't think I have ever even seen an XJ with rust next to the door handles. It looks like you dont even have rockers left....at all. The spring hangers are rusted through without a doubt and your 'frame' may be on it's way. Do not lift it. It will fold like a taco (for realz). As stated above, any money put into other than replacement parts would be a waste.

No inspection in CT, only emissions. I doubt this would be on the road if there was inspection.

I would say to have fun with the Jeep as is until you move, save your money. As kastein said, you will not see that money again if you sell it soon. I have probably $8000 sitting in the driveway and had a hard time finding a buyer at $4500. Needless to say, I kept it.

Why are you looking for a tire no one else has? Just for looks or to be special or what? I don't get it.

I'm not sure why I want a tire that no one else around me has perhaps its because I want to be different or be "special" as you put it. I always liked being different and I always like being the guinea pig in terms of new stuff.

When I said that I was moving I meant that I would be moving in like 3-5 years.

I do not have any rocker panels due to cutting them off. When I first got the Jeep I noticed that the rocker panels were shot and I decided to cut them off and at some point in the future wield in a iron bar where the rocker panels where.

The rust on the door is not actually that bad here's the story as to how it got that way. There was no rust on the door when I first got it. Me and my friends started to mod it by tearing off the trim that was on the door and we sanded it down. After that I took it off road for the first time and got it stuck in a vary large puddle that was covered by what I thought was thick enough ice, but it wasn't it gave way as soon as all 4 wheels where bought upon the ice and I sank right to the frame in ice water. Also a perfect night to find out that my 4wd did not work. Well I got stuck enough to where even my friends 1990 Ford Bronco could not get me out due to both of us sitting on ice just spinning tires for any traction. Well water kept splashing up and it eventually froze and rust started to form.

this.

and assuming CT still has inspection, has it passed yet? that broken light and the rust might make that interesting.

your trim in the front is about right for 33's on 3" of lift with no bumpstops. although i assume you just trimmed until the biggest rust holes were gone, which i used to do there too :D

CT does not have inspection only emissions.

Is this trimming that I did is it enough to have 33" stock without a lift for the time being? I'd really like to get the wheels and tires in the summer before they go out of stock in the winter. Or would I need a lift and bumpstops.

Where would I find used parts for a lift I thought that buying a lift new was essential rather than purchasing a used lift that may break. Idk, I just thought that buying things new is better than a used product.

Xwhatever. I don't think I have ever even seen an XJ with rust next to the door handles. It looks like you dont even have rockers left....at all. The spring hangers are rusted through without a doubt and your 'frame' may be on it's way. Do not lift it. It will fold like a taco (for realz). As stated above, any money put into other than replacement parts would be a waste.

No inspection in CT, only emissions. I doubt this would be on the road if there was inspection.

My old Cherokee a red 1992 5 speed had rust everywhere worse then this one currently has. I don't have any rockers left on the jeep I cut them off with the intention of welding in some iron rebar. Also what are "spring hangers"?

I would say to have fun with the Jeep as is until you move, save your money. As kastein said, you will not see that money again if you sell it soon. I have probably $8000 sitting in the driveway and had a hard time finding a buyer at $4500. Needless to say, I kept it.

Well I have some time to play around with because when I said that I was moving I was not clear and I apologize for that. I am moving in 3-5 years to West Virgina and more than likely the Jeep will not be following me but I will sell it to one of my friends that would want it.

Back to my original question what would be better of these lifts

1. (http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html) Jeep XJ Cherokee 3" Series 2 Suspension from Rough Country.

2. (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-X3LK&Category_Code=XLK) XJ 3" Lift Kit from IronRockOffRoad.

3. (http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...-pack-kit.html) Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Lift Kit From Rusty's off road.

Now the lift kits mentioned do come with questions and concerns about each and every lift here's the questions.

1. For Rough Country: Do I need any of the Upgrades and Accessories that they offer? If so what would I need? This may sound stupid but are Add A Leaf worse then full spring packs? I'm guessing that Full Packs are better.

2. For IronRockOffRoad: This kit says that its a full kit is this true? Should I purchase it on a whim would I need anything? Does this kit have anything missing that's vital to making a complete kit? Do I need anything from the Accessories list?

3. Rusty's: The cheapest kit but also the most plain. I'm sure there's something missing here but I'm not sure what.. please tell me if there us anything missing here.

Out of the three kits mentioned which one is the best? And which one will serve me a good time off road?

I'm open to any other suggestions to lifts.

Well, I went to my local shop and this is what they said about all 3 brands.

Rough country- Parts are known to fail bushings and such, rough country wont warranty unless you buy from local shop.

IRO- Does not warranty.

Rusty's- No liability if any parts break.

Basically my local shop told me to go with rough country though them only though.

I went tire shopping the other day to brick and mortar stores to see if they could get STT's or GY Wrangler MT/R's the cheapest I found STT's where $230 Mounted and Balanced Included and the for the MT/R's Kevlar was $250 Mounted and Balanced Included.

Seems that the STT's are the cheaper choice. But I also found a site called Tires-Easy.com that beat all prices including shipping.

STT's- 4 tires comes to 768.80
Shipping 113.44
4 tires + shipping 882.24
Tax + 52.93
Total 935.17

Back