• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what have you done to fight your left butt cheek from falling alseep?

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Driver seat badly worn in my '01 mainly on the left side. My initial thought was to buy a passenger and swap the foam. Not sure if that will work or if I can get the seat un bolted with out snapping all the rusted bolts. Let's hear what you have done. New seat, new foam, milk crates?

Replace the seat... The junk yard has lots of them.

Is the seat bracket or frame broken?

If you break the bolts, oh well, drill them out and run bolts thru the floor.

all the JY seats I find are worse off then mine, thats why I had the idea of grabbing the foam off a passenger seat as they are usually not as abused. They appear to be the same. And isn't the area sealed that bolt goes into? thanks

If you break the bolts, oh well, drill them out and run bolts thru the floor.

And isn't the area sealed that bolt goes into? thanks

Yes...ask me how I know...

I just did the driver seat on my 2001 XJ and snapped both front bolts. The bolts on the 2001 are into a rectangular channel that is welded to the floor. The only way to do new bolts if you snap the head of is to break the weld nut free with an air hammer, then run a new bolt through.

On the outside (closest to the door), it is fairly easy to fish the bolt though because when you trim away the carpet to access, there is a big round hole on the top (as well as an oval one on the backside). On the inside by the transmission hump there is only an oval on the back.

When you go to put the new bolts in, the issue is that you can't get a wrench or a socket through the oval holes to hold it tight. What I did was get new bolts and nuts so they would thread easily, put a finger though the oval hole to hold the bolt as tight as I could, then run the nut on aways. Once it has cleared about 1/4 inch of the threads, I grabbed the threads with a vice grip to hold the bolt tight while I tightened the nut with a wrench. One other issue is that the seat sits pretty low, so it is hard to get and arm under there to get a finger into the oval hole.

Last thing to warn about is that the weld nut and the end of the cracked off bolt faces down, so if you air hammer it loose, it may end up aiming downward and break though the floor pan. Ask me how I know...

Sounds like the OP's problem isn't broken welds or broken seat braces or brackets, but rather worn out foam padding. If you can find a good driver seat, just swap it and be done. Otherwise, I would guess the pax side seat foam would work. The bottom frame will not though. They are shaped differently and have different bracketry. Foam seems to be about the same dimention (although I have not taken the foam out of either).

Another option would be to pull some WJ seats from the yard and upgrade if you can find a good set (leather).

The cushions can be swapped, but they are not quite identical. You may need to trim the foam off of one corner, and glue it to the other cushion, but it can be done. That's what I did on mine, and I also repaired the frame for the lower cushion, which was probably a bigger issue than the weakened foam. Didn't cost anything (zipties, a little 3M spray adhesive, some nuts and bolts), only took a couple of hours worth of fooling around to see what would work, and do it. It's not perfect, but it's much better than a broken seat, obviously.

I took mine to an interior shop that I trusted...I forget how much I paid, but it was cheap and quick (around 40 bucks IIRC?). He just put some new foam in....man it was a big difference and well worth it.

FWIW, I wasn't aware that my seat frame was broken until I stripped the seat. And removing the seat is easy, and doesn't involve any broken hardware. Get a gearwrench (13mm?) and remove the 4 nuts under the lower cushion that hold the seat onto the sliders. No reason to touch the bolts in the floor.

Yes...ask me how I know...

I just did the driver seat on my 2001 XJ and snapped both front bolts. The bolts on the 2001 are into a rectangular channel that is welded to the floor. The only way to do new bolts if you snap the head of is to break the weld nut free with an air hammer, then run a new bolt through.

On the outside (closest to the door), it is fairly easy to fish the bolt though because when you trim away the carpet to access, there is a big round hole on the top (as well as an oval one on the backside). On the inside by the transmission hump there is only an oval on the back.

When you go to put the new bolts in, the issue is that you can't get a wrench or a socket through the oval holes to hold it tight. What I did was get new bolts and nuts so they would thread easily, put a finger though the oval hole to hold the bolt as tight as I could, then run the nut on aways. Once it has cleared about 1/4 inch of the threads, I grabbed the threads with a vice grip to hold the bolt tight while I tightened the nut with a wrench. One other issue is that the seat sits pretty low, so it is hard to get and arm under there to get a finger into the oval hole.

Last thing to warn about is that the weld nut and the end of the cracked off bolt faces down, so if you air hammer it loose, it may end up aiming downward and break though the floor pan. Ask me how I know...

Sounds like the OP's problem isn't broken welds or broken seat braces or brackets, but rather worn out foam padding. If you can find a good driver seat, just swap it and be done. Otherwise, I would guess the pax side seat foam would work. The bottom frame will not though. They are shaped differently and have different bracketry. Foam seems to be about the same dimention (although I have not taken the foam out of either).

Another option would be to pull some WJ seats from the yard and upgrade if you can find a good set (leather).

Ah! You're right as rain. I obviously didn't pay attention to the year model. Carry on! :)

Move your wallet to the other side of your butt.

worked for me

THAT would drive me INSANE!

et a gearwrench (13mm?) and remove the 4 nuts under the lower cushion that hold the seat onto the sliders

That was about to be my next question, if you can reach to unbolt off tracks. My buddy actually got the bolts loose yesterday so it will cpme out, but I still might try this and unbolt from the track. thanks

Back