• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy crap, upper trans mount bolts stuck

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I was hoping that someone can give me a few tips here.

My trans mount is falling apart so I was out trying to change my trans mount on my aw4 and I am having a real problem getting the 18mm bolts on the trans mount plate out. They are stuck sold, to the point I snapped the gears in my ratchet.

I supported the trans, took the cross member off and now the dang bolts on top are just froze solid. I have them soaking in deep creep so we will see what happens after that, but has anyone had them froze solid? If so how did you get the buggers out?

on my first Jeep, they came out WAY too easily-- one was half out and the other was gone...... On the next one, a box end wrench and a hammer broke them free fairly easily-- only problem was figuring out where to put the wrench where I could get a swing with the persuader.

Yup!

I have a huge cheater bar (4 foot) lol I thought about using, but I started having bad flashbacks of breaking and then having to drill out huge bolts lol.

Im going to bust out the hand impact and whack that sucker on wed and see if I can get them out without doing something drastic.

I think Im just going to paint my entire vehicle in anti seize lol.

not trying to insult you-- just make sure you're turning the right way (it's easy to get screwed up when you're upside-down)

Also, make damnsure the Jeep is well supported if you're going to use a cheater bar on 'em-- it's easy to pull/push one off jackstands with the extra leverage.

No worries, im doing this tires on the ground, wheels chocked.

And yes I have been know to get cornfuzzled when upside down, but this time I was using a ratchet so Im all good there.

You made a good point there though, I have seen vehicles come off of stands before and its something that scares the bejeezus out of you (and anyone within ear shot) got to make damn sure that vehicle is not going anywhere.

Back