• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL in D/OD only

Txbonedaddy

NAXJA Forum User
98 Cherokee with a CEL , codes 0700, 740, 0758 and 1694. Changed tranny fluid. Open, cleaned, greased every electrical connection I could find. Checked all fuses. Opened, cleaned, greased NSS. Changed TPS. Checked, soldered every ground connection I could find. I suspect solenoids but want some feedback. Tranny seems to shift through all the gears without problem until it hits overdrive, then there is a fluctuation in RPMS, like it can't decide what to do and this triggers the CEL. I can drive in 3 and after just a few trips the light will go out and not come back on until I drive in D again. Other than a semi-hard downshift when slowing to a stop and the CEL I wouldn't have even suspected a problem. Any ideas?

Also tried finding wiring diagram for the TCM to test solenoids but everyone I found has the connector as having C 1-16 on top row and D 1-16 on bottom row but my connector only has 13 pins on each row. So I'm not sure of the corresponding test points for the solenoids.

Ok thanks I'll try this tomorrow to see if I have a communication failure somewhere. I may be over simplifying things but I am going on the assumption that everything is talking since I can drive it in 3 and the CEL will go out. It only returns when driving in OD just when the convertor tries to lock up. I checked the solenoids thru the connector and they appear to check out. I'm kinda at a loss.

the 97 and ups have a different pin out on the tcm connector. you will need that info from a 97 fsm. mike

Re: CEL in D/OD only. Help?

Ok thanks, I found a wiring diagram for the 26 pin connector to the tcm. Tomorrow I'm going to double check the readings of the solenoids. Checked TPS and it looks ok. Only thing I haven't checked was the tran output sensor. It's behind the transfer case bracket and looks like a pita to get to. Not sure if it can be checked in the tcm connector or what to look for if it could.

Well I can't seem to figure it out. Checked all wiring between tcm and diagnostic connector and it has continuity on all wires. Adjusted kickdown cable with no change. Verified solenoid resistance and they are within spec. The codes all point to the solenoids so I guess ill just replace them and see if that clears the problem. Hate to throw money at it but not sure what else to do. If anybody has any suggestions I'm open to any and all of them. The problem shows up specifically in between 45-50 mph. It shifts 1-4 smooth as can be, feels like torque convertor locks up around 45 mph, rpm drops like it should then right before 50 mph it seems like it unlocks, rpm revs slightly and CEL will come on tight after that. Also appears to lock up again after that slight blip. No really sure how to tell for sure. And once again I can drive in "3" for 2-3 startups, even just quick trips and CEL goes right out. Only thing I haven't done is swap TCM, PCM or output speed sensor, and solenoids which I thought was the original culprit but now not so sure.

Back