• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked intake manifold

tommy54

NAXJA Forum User
Can an intake manifold be repaired? I was cleaning the mating surfaces to bolt the manifold up and felt something, turns out the intake is cracked at the rear, look like someone over tightened it. Is this something that can be fixed? I have a spare 94 manifold, but I'm pretty sure that won't do me any good. What other years would work on here?

A good used manifold should be relatively inexpensive. Your only repair is having a welding shop weld up the crack.

It can sometimes hangs up on the alignment dowels during installation... been there done that unfortunately.

Find a junkyard manifold, or maybe track one down ammong jeepers, ive got 4 renix manifolds in my shed... I cant be the only one.

Oops, I got ahead of myself while I was typing. This is on a 2000. I think that 96-01 manifolds would work, I know that 99-01's work. I have a couple renix, and a couple ~94 manifolds, but nothing this new.
I think that having it welded would be more work than it's worth since the crack is on the mating surface. Repair would probably run as much as a used one. Now I just have to find one somewhere near me. I was hoping to have this engine back in the jeep and running tomorrow, guess that isn't going to happen.

99-01 XJ, 99+ WJ and TJ 4.0 will fit as well. welding it up would be a pain unless you're set up to weld cast aluminum.

Depending on where it broke, you may have to machine it as well. If it is a mounting flange that broke, the odds of welding it back together and preserving the machined mounting surface is Infinity:1, against. The welding will deform the surface and the entire manifold mounting area will need to be machined so it is flat. Elsewise, it will leak.

Better, easier and less expensive to replace it. Any 4.0 manifold from 99.5 and up will work.

I have an extra 99 manifold let me know if you are interested.

Im located in IL, but I can ship it to you if you want it.

Yeah, I agree, repairing it isn't worth it.

Stockli- where in IL are you located? I am down close to the IL border pretty often. PM me what you'd like for it. I looked at local junkyards and no luck so far, tried car-parts.com too and they were a little ridiculous. Thanks

Im in Joliet, IL. The shipping to CO was only going to be $30ish. I can let the manifold go for $90 then just pay the shipping.

This one is in great shape and is the newer style manifold you are looking for.

Just shoot me a PM with your zip and I can get a shipping quote for you.

Will a 97 manifold work? I cqn get one cheap and im not worried about a couple horsepower. I'm using an earlier ho head. Really just concerned about the sensors and vacuum lines. I think PS setup is the same from 97+.

Im not sure on that. I know in the 2000 they used the manifold because of the new emission equipment. I would assume that if you dont have the new exhaust manifold it wouldnt be an issue as guys are running this thing on all the HO motors.

But Im sure someone on here knows for sure.

I decided it wasn't worth trying to make the 97 manifold work. Any 4.0 manifold will bolt up to any 4.0 head, but the sensors and vacuum lines are different. It seems best to match the year of the intake with the Jeep itself, regardless of what head you're running.(Unless you want to upgrade an older jeep to the newer style intake, but that's a different story) I found a nice salvage yard near me that had the proper intake, bought it cheap and it came with TB, sensors, fuel rail, and injectors. Looked it up at Car-part.com and couldn't find anything at a reasonable price, and they all needed days to get it ready. I put a wanted ad on Craigslist and the salvage yard found me.

I decided it wasn't worth trying to make the 97 manifold work. Any 4.0 manifold will bolt up to any 4.0 head, but the sensors and vacuum lines are different. It seems best to match the year of the intake with the Jeep itself, regardless of what head you're running.(Unless you want to upgrade an older jeep to the newer style intake, but that's a different story) I found a nice salvage yard near me that had the proper intake, bought it cheap and it came with TB, sensors, fuel rail, and injectors. Looked it up at Car-part.com and couldn't find anything at a reasonable price, and they all needed days to get it ready. I put a wanted ad on Craigslist and the salvage yard found me.
Sounds like an ideal resolution.

Lol you guys can flame all you want, but i'd JB weld it till you find one... We did it on our old 24 valve cummins work truck (cracked in the center, the majority of the way around) and so far it's held up for something like 2 years or so. Has yet to have a problem leaking yet, however if it had been MY truck... I'd of probably just bandaid'ed it with the JB weld until i could find a good replacement, or if i didnt have to drive it everyday just wait to find a replacement.

JB weld works well for a lot of things, but I think this one wouldn't have held up. It cracked at the back of the manifold where a bolt is supposed to be holding it down. The crack then went through the mating surface of the intake, creating an uneven surface. If the crack was somewhere else, and didn't have to have a bolt torqued down right on the crack, I would have JB welded it and saved some money.

Back